• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stryke Carbides (Production)

ksiesel

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper RTX-DX
I recall some comments when the Stryke ski was released that indicated the carbide for Stryke was unique to Yamaha due to the carbide placement. I’ve been acquiring Stryke skis and carbides to try on my Viper and the part number isn’t adding up.

I purchased some new takeoff carbides from a member here. They came on a ‘22 Winder LTX SE. They have a Cat part number on them as seen in the pics (2603-988 and 2603-989). According to the Cat parts fiche, these came stock on most of the ZR and Xf line from 2015 to 2017.

Is the line about the carbides for Stryke having unique carbide loading false, or is this a case of the Cat factory using up old parts on their ‘22 production Yamaha’s? BTW, Cat no longer puts the staggered carbides on their new sleds.

54937217-D6B7-4AAC-92D9-48C27FACA1F7.jpeg

71F43A23-45B4-473F-8C90-70B474288191.jpeg

70227A87-E690-4883-818E-FAE1298C2DB6.png

Last edited:

The carbides came off my 2022 Winder.. Also adding to this.. The drive shaft in my 2022 YAMAHA has a cat part number on it also.. I posted a pic back in November I believe.

Anyone else with a '21 or '22 LTX. STX, or SRX willing to have a look at their factory carbides and see if they are similarly marked with these Cat P/N's that date back to at least 2015?

Anyone else with a '21 or '22 LTX. STX, or SRX willing to have a look at their factory carbides and see if they are similarly marked with these Cat P/N's that date back to at least 2015?

Just call your local Yamaha dealer and ask them about the part numbers since you don't believe the person you bought them from.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago, so will take a look at the stock ones from my '22 ST-X when I'm back up there this weekend.

Just call your local Yamaha dealer and ask them about the part numbers since you don't believe the person you bought them from.
I fully believe Jon - he has been fully open about what he sold and I have no issues with him at all.

This is about understanding if the new and improved carbide for the Stryke is really just the recycled Cat carbide from several years earlier.

I fully believe Jon - he has been fully open about what he sold and I have no issues with him at all.

This is about understanding if the new and improved carbide for the Stryke is really just the recycled Cat carbide from several years earlier.
It’s the cat carbide. Same that were off 2017 thunder cat for sure. Not sure what the new ones come with. We noticed the same on my buddies 22 winder earlier in the season.

My guess is the carbides used were specified by Yamaha OR were the only one available due to supply chain. Cat probably told Yamaha "this is what we have in stock", Yamaha looked at them and said OK.

Weird times call for weirdness ......

Well my 2021 Cat 8000 only had the 4” center carbid. Not the offset like my 22 Yamaha. Not sure what that means.

Maybe the right question is does anyone know if the Yamaha part numbers (8LY-F3731-00-00 and 8LY-F3732-00-00) are really the same physical part as the Cat part numbers (2603-988 and 2603-989)? In other words, if you ordered the Yamaha P/N, would it come with the Cat P/N from 2015 stamped on it.

@JMS@Yamaha, I think the info on them being unique for the Stryke ski originally came from you. Is this something you are willing to clear up for us?

I recall some comments when the Stryke ski was released that indicated the carbide for Stryke was unique to Yamaha due to the carbide placement. I’ve been acquiring Stryke skis and carbides to try on my Viper and the part number isn’t adding up.

I purchased some new takeoff carbides from a member here. They came on a ‘22 Winder LTX SE. They have a Cat part number on them as seen in the pics (2603-988 and 2603-989). According to the Cat parts fiche, these came stock on most of the ZR and Xf line from 2015 to 2017.

Is the line about the carbides for Stryke having unique carbide loading false, or is this a case of the Cat factory using up old parts on their ‘22 production Yamaha’s? BTW, Cat no longer puts the staggered carbides on their new sleds.

View attachment 166843

View attachment 166844

View attachment 166845
Did you end up running the factory carbides? I also changed to the Stryke skis on a RTX Viper with a studded track, 2 per row. I have tried both Woody’s doolys and Bergrstrom 6” single carbides with their ski saver. I have not found a setup that I like. The Dolly’s tend to push and the single carbides were very twitching heavy steering and darted a little. I also have a viper LTX. I put ski doo 5.7 skis on this sled and it handles fantastic, like power steering.

Maybe the right question is does anyone know if the Yamaha part numbers (8LY-F3731-00-00 and 8LY-F3732-00-00) are really the same physical part as the Cat part numbers (2603-988 and 2603-989)? In other words, if you ordered the Yamaha P/N, would it come with the Cat P/N from 2015 stamped on it.

@JMS@Yamaha, I think the info on them being unique for the Stryke ski originally came from you. Is this something you are willing to clear up for us?

Jarret has been quiet all season. His last post on here was July of last year. The vlog has not been much of anything this season either. A bit concerning if he is the inside connect between us and Yamaha.

I dont think the Stryke ski is anything but a Cat ski with the ability to add factory shims front and rear. The bottom of the ski looks just like a standard Cat ski to me.

Back