• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stub Shaft

SideHogger

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Ltx-Le Sidewinder
Just a little theory here I dicussed with someone the other day. Do you think that banging on the clutch puller or using impact wrench on puller can push in the stub shaft? Maybe thats why some are being pushed in?

Yes, absolutely. IMO, do NOT hit end of puller with large hammer! If clutch is stuck, use hydraulic method to get it off. Unless you are already planning on removing the stub shaft assy after getting the clutch off. If so, then you'd have to check it or better yet, press it apart, clean, and apply green loctite when you put it back together.

Yes, absolutely. IMO, do NOT hit end of puller with large hammer! If clutch is stuck, use hydraulic method to get it off. Unless you are already planning on removing the stub shaft assy after getting the clutch off. If so, then you'd have to check it or better yet, press it apart, clean, and apply green loctite when you put it back together.
Do you think just using puller by keeping it threading in could also force stub shaft in?

Do you think just using puller by keeping it threading in could also force stub shaft in?

No.
When properly using a puller, the puller threads in on the clutch and pushes the clutch away or outward from the taper of the stub shaft. The only way the puller could move the stub shaft is if you somehow blocked the clutch from moving outward so the puller had to push the stub shaft inward to separate the two.

Not as long as you don't prevent clutch from coming off/outwards.

I have changed a few stub shaft bearings and pressed the whole assembly together. They all fit tight, especially pressing the bearing onto the shaft. I have placed the shaft in the freezer overnight and the bearing in the sun before re assembly. I would not argue that the bearing could be forced inward but it would be one hell of a bang
Ms

I've asked this cause I do use a 5lb hammer with my puller but usually one tap and clutch pops off. I also always clean shaft and clutch before putting it back on. I will be checking bearing from now on.

I would like to mention again, I use slime instead of grease. its quick and doesn't require thread tape. a blast of air cleans it up after. also, another reason for people to quit pulling the clutch all the time. the one on my nytro has never been off. 25127 miles. used a set of weights, maybe 3 or 4 belts and that's it. I do plan to do stub bearings this year, just figure they are on borrowed time at this point.

I've asked this cause I do use a 5lb hammer with my puller but usually one tap and clutch pops off. I also always clean shaft and clutch before putting it back on. I will be checking bearing from now on.

I had a stubborn clutch last spring and had tapped on the end of the clutch hoping it would release and pop. It never did and i had to use the hydraulic method. I didn’t feel good about things so i pulled the stub shaft to check the bearing and sure enough it had a few ‘ticks’ when spinning it so i replaced it.

I didn’t wrap it too hard but must have hurt something.
MS

It seems these SW clutches can be very stubborn to remove. I would guess its a combination of the high initial torque setting, the clutch construction itself, and the amount of hp these sleds are putting out. When my Sidewinder was brand new I disassembled many components to check and upgrade known issues before I ever rode it. I had a heck of a time removing the clutch even with zero miles on it.

another little trick I just used the other day for an electric pto. If I have a motor loose or similar, I use flat bars and straps to hang it from the crane and use gravity of motor in conjunction with an air hammer on the bolt backed out some. there is no pretty way to pull an electric pto when stuck. run into similar daily. have also had to use the same method plus torch for pulleys and what not. sometimes welding a nut the the pulley and drive off puller

Do you mean Slime tire sealant?
yup, I use a generic version in gallon pump bottles. I dump it right in tires when mounting etc..stick the hose deep as possible and pump till it comes out, put puller in and drive home with impact. you think winders are tough, try a club car. the puller is 1/2" and is long too. wrecked enough pullers over the years to tell you first hand. anybody smart enough to be on this forum should have and use slime daily for low pressure atv utv lawn etc..tires anyway

It seems these SW clutches can be very stubborn to remove. I would guess its a combination of the high initial torque setting, the clutch construction itself, and the amount of hp these sleds are putting out. When my Sidewinder was brand new I disassembled many components to check and upgrade known issues before I ever rode it. I had a heck of a time removing the clutch even with zero miles on it.

Ya mine was really stuck - never been in that situation before so this was all new. Bent 3 pullers, lucky i didn’t get it stuck. When it did come off it sounded like a gun shot and drove the impact gun into my side that left a huge bruise.

I reinstalled at 95 ft lbs, had enough of this crap. Polished both clutch and stub shaft. Gave it a light wipe with gear oil before re-install. I know some would disagree, but cant go through this each year. Just started stripping sled this spring and it popped right off. Happy with that.
MS

Ya mine was really stuck - never been in that situation before so this was all new. Bent 3 pullers, lucky i didn’t get it stuck. When it did come off it sounded like a gun shot and drove the impact gun into my side that left a huge bruise.

I reinstalled at 95 ft lbs, had enough of this crap. Polished both clutch and stub shaft. Gave it a light wipe with gear oil before re-install. I know some would disagree, but cant go through this each year. Just started stripping sled this spring and it popped right off. Happy with that.
MS

I would recommend against any oil on the stub shaft. I mistakenly did that. Clutch failed to seat properly, blew belt, sheared primary bolt off. Here’s the thread: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/blew-...2-xs825-belts-gone-in-160-miles.159869/page-4

Back