• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stud/Carbide Sharpening?

SidewinderConvert

4-Stroke Rookie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'18 Sidewinder XTX-SE
Was looking at the track on my machine today and noticed the studs are already fairly worn. The previous owner installed them but they appear to be Woody's Grand Master Studs.

Has anybody sharpened their studs/carbides and noticed a significant difference? I have always had the track go before the studs on my older sleds.

The bite harder wear bar wheel works great on ski carbide to keep them sharp. Studs,I have never owned the tool so I cant confirm how well it works.

Do you know what if any benefit there is to their pro series? I have both drills and die grinders, but they don't say if there is any benefit to going with the pro series to justify the 3x cost increase.

EDIT: Nevermind, I should read before posting. Says longer tool life.

Last edited:
Do you know what if any benefit there is to their pro series? I have both drills and die grinders, but they don't say if there is any benefit to going with the pro series to justify the 3x cost increase.

EDIT: Nevermind, I should read before posting. Says longer tool life.
I think you also need Pro for the higher rpm the die grinder is capable of. It sure has paid for itself on my sleds for the carbides. Great investment!

I use the bite harder stud sharpener. Works well.
It's the second time I sharpened my studs.
I bought the pro model

20200720_221355.jpg

I have not used them on my studs but the bite harder tool does a great job on the ski carbides. It really keeps the edge up. You notice it in on hard surfaces like lakes. Way more control.
Even parking lots, the sled turns better on the asphalt.
MS

Based on what everyone is saying I will pick up the pro models this fall. Thanks for the input!

If your studs are worn too far, the carbide will likely fall out not long after being sharpened.

For people sharpening studs, don't expect them to hold on to the tip like a stock stud. I sharpen them when new only taking a slight bit off the shank and they will still throw the tips. This is on MegaBites, and when I left them stock never throw tips. I will never sharpen them again for a trail sled myself. I'm sure I have already replaced 30 or so.

For people sharpening studs, don't expect them to hold on to the tip like a stock stud. I sharpen them when new only taking a slight bit off the shank and they will still throw the tips. This is on MegaBites, and when I left them stock never throw tips. I will never sharpen them again for a trail sled myself. I'm sure I have already replaced 30 or so.

This makes me wonder if there is a model stud with carbide down the center of the stud for a fair distance to make it possible to sharpen the studs without immediately losing the tip.

IDK? Carbide is expensive and the track stud business is very competitive so the manufacturers really work on making the carbide piece as short as possible to minimize cost. It would be an interesting study to buy directly competitive studs and pull the carbide piece out to measure the length and diameter (make sure to compare similar studs ie. the Woodys Trigger and the StudBoy Lake Racer for example).

Back