• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stud length

SledFreak

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Current 2020 ThunderCat. - SOLD!
What's the longest stud that can be run in a Nytro. I don't care about track height here, I only care about clearence issues on the bulk head. I currently run Woody's size, 1.450 and want to know if I can go one size up to a 1.575. I am pondering on jumping to a Cobra track, but 1.450 stud does not give enough penetration as it does on the ripsaw, so I am looking at going up 1 size. Anyone have any experience with running anything longer?

there is plenty of room in there to run a 2" paddle track, so I would think a 1.575 stud would fit with no problems. Since you like to run your track tight anyways, I wouldn't worry about it.

I had my track really loose with 1.45" studs when the track was new and it stretched...never hit once. but I think I got lucky.

How about a fast trac 1.5...would be kinda a happy medium. Remember the cobra is only a 1.352, not a 1 3/8 (1.375 I think?) and that 1.352 is to the top of the little "nubs" not the top of the paddle.

No I would not run the 1.575. I've ran the cobra and used 1.450's and hit running those running my track tight. Like sledderfarmer stated the cobra is really only a 1.25. The nubs are what makes it a 1.375. I trimmed the nubs off as they really don't do much then you can run 1.350 or try the 1.450 you might have better luck than I did with them.

BooBoo said:
No I would not run the 1.575. I've ran the cobra and used 1.450's and hit running those running my track tight. Like sledderfarmer stated the cobra is really only a 1.25. The nubs are what makes it a 1.375. I trimmed the nubs off as they really don't do much then you can run 1.350 or try the 1.450 you might have better luck than I did with them.

I guess I got really lucky if the 1.450s hit while you had your track tight. Cause I was probably running my track with 3 inches of sag! Unknowingly of course...I figured it out when the sled would top out at about 90 mph lol.

How is your cobra holding up? I was not happy with the durability of mine... I don't recommend it to anyone. I always tell them to get the Camoplast predator, or the 1.375 that arctic cat ran for years.

SledFreak said:
What's the longest stud that can be run in a Nytro. I don't care about track height here, I only care about clearence issues on the bulk head. I currently run Woody's size, 1.450 and want to know if I can go one size up to a 1.575. I am pondering on jumping to a Cobra track, but 1.450 stud does not give enough penetration as it does on the ripsaw, so I am looking at going up 1 size. Anyone have any experience with running anything longer?

Andy, I thought the cobra can be studded as if it were a 1.25 track due to the flex in the tip of the lug.

sleddingfarmer said:
BooBoo said:

I guess I got really lucky if the 1.450s hit while you had your track tight. Cause I was probably running my track with 3 inches of sag! Unknowingly of course...I figured it out when the sled would top out at about 90 mph lol.

How is your cobra holding up? I was not happy with the durability of mine... I don't recommend it to anyone. I always tell them to get the Camoplast predator, or the 1.375 that arctic cat ran for years.

Ya other's have said they had no problem's running 1.450's but the sled's in our group had no such luck. The cobra didn't hold up long, One season on it and had to change it out. I'm running a 1" predator now and I'm loving it. The Cobra kick's #*$&@ off trail but if I think if thats all I was doing was pow riding then I'd run a 1.5 instead.

shaddow44 said:
SledFreak said:

Andy, I thought the cobra can be studded as if it were a 1.25 track due to the flex in the tip of the lug.

Ya it flex's , but it still needs longer penetration. I ran the Cobra on my Apex with 1.450's and it did not have the penetration as my ripsaw did with 1.450's. Hooked way better then the cobra on hard ground... The ripsaw just sucks in loose snow conditions. I'm not talking powder, just loose snow, like a couple of inches of powder on the groomed trail from a snow fall from the night before.... Maybe I should look to see if they make a predator for the XTX. I'm not sure if they do... Camoplast site does not seem to offer it.

I believe if I want to run the Cobra and run 1.575" stud, at most, all I will have to do is add 1/8" tunnel protector to the existing protectors... I need the best of both worlds for high speed and something better then the ripsaw in loose snow conditions...

I found a 144 x 13.5 x 1.25 track on ebay. The guy says its called a ripsaw but it clearly not. Looks like a 6 pitch predator design (he thinks so too). Being a little narrower it might help with top speed, but having actual lugs it might be better in the loose snow than the ripsaw.

I don't think I can post a link here for ebay stuff. but if you search you'll find it.

Back