• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stud recommendations - 1.5" RipsawII

Avenged7x

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX-SE
Greetings,

After close to 10,000 miles my OEM 1.25 RipsawII with 144 Woody's signature series is getting pretty tired. The track has held up well, no pull thrus but I've had a few bent studs and issues with the nuts loosening. All double backers and center only. The studs are bit on the short side and my pattern (dealer installed) is terrible with only 6 scratch lines (1 double, 2 double pattern).

Sled is a 2017 LTX-SE with a Precision 280 and Sandale 3" Hyperflow. Snowtrackers on the stock Tuner3s.
Riding conditions are usually good snow conditions with well groomed trails, lots of high speed logging roads, occasionally icy. Mostly a groomed trail rider but I want to improve off-trail ability and softer condition traction. I hate to sacrifice anywhere, but if I need to I will give up some top end but want to maintain durability.

I've settled on a 1.5" RipsawII, which I hope will meet my expectations.

Now the question is studs, how big and how many. I am leaning towards using Woody's recommended 192 pattern, 48 double backers and 96 single backers and a 1.575 stud. Considering the 1.575 Gold Diggers or Mega bites or maybe the 1.575 Warthog XZP. I'm a bit leary of the pro-lite backers, but maybe they'd be an option for the doubles? I'm not ruling out anything, I'm sure I'd love the traction of Triggers, but don't think they'd have the durability.

Studs are pretty pricy these days, I'd consider going with 144 as well but I was hoping to get both improved bite both on and off-trail than my current set-up which is more of a slightly improved traction/breaking set-up than coming anywhere near close to putting the power to the ground. Not looking for a lake or weekend drag set-up, just a good aggressive trail and corner to corner set-up.

Looking for recommendations and real world feedback from people running similar conditions and set-ups.

Very difficult to compare riding conditions/styles and traction setup. What seems to work for one may come up short for someone else.
I've run Stud Boy ProLite double backers for 4 years now w 1.625" Stud Boy Lake Racer studs, 137" skid. 192 studs all double backers only in center belt only. No pull thrus, no tear outs, no loose studs. Occasional lost carbide tip (about 8 per year).
All depends on how much concrete, asphalt, rocks, gravel you ride on. I've had great experience but the next guy might curse big time.
Based on you stating you have have had bent Woodys Gold Diggers, I don't think you're a good candidate for long thin studs like Stud Boy Lake Racer or Woodys Trigger.
BTW - based on actual weight on a gram scale, my Stud Boy traction setup is 15% lighter than comparable aluminum setup.

Very difficult to compare riding conditions/styles and traction setup. What seems to work for one may come up short for someone else.
I've run Stud Boy ProLite double backers for 4 years now w 1.625" Stud Boy Lake Racer studs, 137" skid. 192 studs all double backers only in center belt only. No pull thrus, no tear outs, no loose studs. Occasional lost carbide tip (about 8 per year).
All depends on how much concrete, asphalt, rocks, gravel you ride on. I've had great experience but the next guy might curse big time.
Based on you stating you have have had bent Woodys Gold Diggers, I don't think you're a good candidate for long thin studs like Stud Boy Lake Racer or Woodys Trigger.
BTW - based on actual weight on a gram scale, my Stud Boy traction setup is 15% lighter than comparable aluminum setup.
Thanks for the response, how many miles have you put on your set-up?

To clarify, I've bent a few Woody's signature series, they are Woody's cheaper/entry-level studs and stainless steel which I believe is a bit softer than the hardened steel of the Gold Diggers or Megabites.

About 7,500. Wish it was more LOL.

Attachments

• studding2.jpg
    studding2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 165
Is the 1.575 stud going to be long enough on your 1.50 track? Sure doesn’t leave much penetration, but that depends on your riding/conditions. Have you considered something like the Warthog 1.70’s from SnoStuds?

I went with a set of 192 1.625" single ply (bigger head to prevent tear outs) up the middle on my new ripII 1.5.

hEF6AdJb.jpg

New track is on the left.

I know this is contrary to what others are doing but I ran only 2 studs per bar on my Storm 1.50. 129 track. I ran the 225/240/270 SM tune. It had very good loose snow traction and seemed to provide good on trail traction. I am not a lake racer.
I went back to the stock 1.25 after 5000 miles and went to a 2-4 pattern with doubles on the 4's. I felt like the 1.5 track with 2 per bar bit equally as well as the 1.25 with the 2-4 pattern, with the 1.5 better in the loose snow.
I would run a 1.5 track on trail again in a minute and would have outfitted my 2022 GT with it if given the option from the factory.
I used the Roetin Hornets. One thing I like about the Hornet studs is they don't bend, rather they usually snap off at the nut making removal and replacement easier.
By going to the taller track you are already gaining traction over your 1.25 track. If you trail ride mostly, than over studding can bring in another set of handling problems. Not to mention the rotating weight you are adding to the track.
Some like the the stud boy pro series backers but I had them on my 1.25 track and felt like they didn't allow the track to move snow as well on trail. It felt like it was sitting on top of the snow and spinning. I felt like the added hardware between the lugs did not let the track "clean out" . I likened it to a knife where the teeth were not spaced far enough apart. Kind of like cutting wood with a metal blade hacksaw.
I thought I was crazy but others who rode my sled felt the same sensation. I removed them after about 400 miles and went back to aluminum backers. Problem solved. I have a bucket full of them if anyone is interested with the installation tool.
If you under stud your sled and are not happy you can always add studs, if you over stud you can take some out but at that point you have holes in your track and $$$ tied up in studs

Is the 1.575 stud going to be long enough on your 1.50 track? Sure doesn’t leave much penetration, but that depends on your riding/conditions. Have you considered something like the Warthog 1.70’s from SnoStuds?
Woody's has an "interesting" way of measuring and identifying their studs. The 1.575 series studs are what they recommend for a 1.5" height and should give 3/8s penetration. The overall stud length is supposed to be 1.98 with the installed height being 1.825.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I went with the 1.5" RipsawII and 192 1575 Gold Diggers with 48 double digger and 96 single diggers.

Planning to go with this pattern recommendation also from Woody's. Once installed I'll post pictures of both my original and new track setups.
1636640341054.png

I also spoke to the guy who does my work about the prolite backers, he has 40+ years experience in snowmobile sales, service and drag racing. He spoke very highly of the prolite backers, said "they were the strongest thing he had ever seen" ran them for several years and left lost a single stud. He really liked them but felt they might take some penetration away, but admitted that may have been only in his head.

Not sure the 1.575's are going to give 3/8" penetration on a 1.5-I'm guessing it will come out to 5/16". On a 1.25" track 1.325's are supposed to give 3/8" but only have 5/16" per my measurements while 1.450's give you 7/16" penetration on the same 1.25" track. I'm currently studding up a 1.5" Ripsaw 2 with 1.740" Megabites and they measure right at 1/2" above the lug.

Last edited:
Woody's has an "interesting" way of measuring and identifying their studs. The 1.575 series studs are what they recommend for a 1.5" height and should give 3/8s penetration. The overall stud length is supposed to be 1.98 with the installed height being 1.825.

I've discovered same thing with Stud Boy studs. I scratch my head trying to understand their lengths.

I know this is contrary to what others are doing but I ran only 2 studs per bar on my Storm 1.50. 129 track. I ran the 225/240/270 SM tune. It had very good loose snow traction and seemed to provide good on trail traction. I am not a lake racer.
I went back to the stock 1.25 after 5000 miles and went to a 2-4 pattern with doubles on the 4's. I felt like the 1.5 track with 2 per bar bit equally as well as the 1.25 with the 2-4 pattern, with the 1.5 better in the loose snow.
I would run a 1.5 track on trail again in a minute and would have outfitted my 2022 GT with it if given the option from the factory.
I used the Roetin Hornets. One thing I like about the Hornet studs is they don't bend, rather they usually snap off at the nut making removal and replacement easier.
By going to the taller track you are already gaining traction over your 1.25 track. If you trail ride mostly, than over studding can bring in another set of handling problems. Not to mention the rotating weight you are adding to the track.
Some like the the stud boy pro series backers but I had them on my 1.25 track and felt like they didn't allow the track to move snow as well on trail. It felt like it was sitting on top of the snow and spinning. I felt like the added hardware between the lugs did not let the track "clean out" . I likened it to a knife where the teeth were not spaced far enough apart. Kind of like cutting wood with a metal blade hacksaw.
I thought I was crazy but others who rode my sled felt the same sensation. I removed them after about 400 miles and went back to aluminum backers. Problem solved. I have a bucket full of them if anyone is interested with the installation tool.
If you under stud your sled and are not happy you can always add studs, if you over stud you can take some out but at that point you have holes in your track and $$$ tied up in studs
@STAIN I am very curious about your setup with the 2 per bar as you mention. I have a 1.5 track as well and want just a little bit more ice traction but dont want to compromise trail handling and good hook-up this ripsawII already has. What length of Roetins? All singles?

@STAIN I am very curious about your setup with the 2 per bar as you mention. I have a 1.5 track as well and want just a little bit more ice traction but dont want to compromise trail handling and good hook-up this ripsawII already has. What length of Roetins? All singles?
GetAttachmentThumbnail

They were Hornet HNT-164 with stud boy backers

Back