• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Studding a 2007 Attak

Kevin

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
Going to stud my son's 07 attak
All the stud dealers recommend at least 162
The sled won't be driven that hard so I would like to avoid any extra weight.

Would 108 studs be too few?

Going to stud my son's 07 attak
All the stud dealers recommend at least 162
The sled won't be driven that hard so I would like to avoid any extra weight.

Would 108 studs be too few?
I ran 108 on mine for 3 years, was perfect for me as I run aggressive. Adjust your suspension accordingly and your good to go. May not be enough for some especially for racers but it works well. I also was clutched with airbox mod and had plenty of traction.

I ran 108 on mine for 3 years, was perfect for me as I run aggressive. Adjust your suspension accordingly and your good to go. May not be enough for some especially for racers but it works well. I also was clutched with airbox mod and had plenty of traction.

Thanks!
This one has a modded air box and I haven't looked at the clutches yet
Won't be raced out of the hole but it will likely see some pulls against my sidewinder :)

I ran 108 up the middle for 6 seasons. Had one pull out after 11k miles. You do need to mod the tunnel protectors to keep the studs from trying to take out the rear bulkhead crossover, muffler clamps and rear exchanger (if you have one).
The stock Ripsaw folds over when it hits the protectors allowing the studs to reach much further than one would expect.

I ran 108 up the middle for 6 seasons. Had one pull out after 11k miles. You do need to mod the tunnel protectors to keep the studs from trying to take out the rear bulkhead crossover, muffler clamps and rear exchanger (if you have one).
The stock Ripsaw folds over when it hits the protectors allowing the studs to reach much further than one would expect.
No rear cooler
Any pics of modded tunnel protectors?

I believe steiner was referring to re-enforcing the existing tunnel protectors by adding a 1/4" thick by 1" wide strips of aluminum to them and the front heat exchanger.
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

If you Attak doesn't have a cooler and your OEM track you don't need any protection. And I would use Woody's guide for the amount and patterns and size.. On 4 of the Attaks I owned I went with 1.325 Woody's Gold Diggers and never had an issue. With near 18k on just two of them. Another has 8k. OEM Ripsaw track .
If your Attak is OEM track Ripsaw I with 1 1/4 lugs and have a cooler you have to add or make protection of 1- 1/2 inchs over the rear cooler tapering down to the back of the upper wheels only or these 1.325 will hit.
I ran 162 on two of them and the lesser amount Woody's recommends on my last one and they did fine for my trail riding.

The only problem with that is when the lugs on the Ripsaw that would contact the tunnel protectors start to break off. Then it will allow the studs to make contact to the bulkhead, exhaust, and muffler clamps. Here is a picture of my Ripsaw with 14,0000 that I recently replaced. As you can see, once you loose that particular section of lugs, the added protection to the tunnel protectors will prevent further damage.
Capture.JPG

Wow.. never had those issues.. I have clocked 18k on my Attaks and I'm 260lbs naked. You must ride fast and hard.

You guys are confusing me....lol
No rear cooler likely 108 1.325 studs

Wouldn’t adding 1 1/2”to the stock protectors actually wear the track?

You guys are confusing me....lol
No rear cooler likely 108 1.325 studs

Wouldn’t adding 1 1/2”to the stock protectors actually wear the track?

I stiffened up the mounts for the protectors on mine before I installed a rear exchanger. I'm guessing with the high speed runs on the lakes or the occasional hard landing the studs would hit the exhaust clamps and rear bulkhead crossover.
I installed solid blocks in the C of the mount and in the rear I added washers to lower the protector much like the 2011 and up owners do to protect the EXUP.

Like I said above..I trail ride. I hit moguls for sure no trail is perfect all the time.. I had 10k on my first Attak and this one has 8K ..wifes 2010 Vector LTX same setup with studs and protection.. never issues.. See the Sticky in the Vector section on studding ..
I get up to speeds of only 70 mph all trail riding ..with rear cooler and 1 1/2 of protection over the cooler tapering down to 0 right behind the upper wheels. I'm 260 lbs bear #*$&@ and never have ruined the track or anything else.. again 1.325 studs.. totally OEM stock setup except the rear cooler and protection.
But as the saying goes "your milage may very" if you think you ride hard and fast then don't listen to what I say.

The sled won't be driven that hard otherwise mw and my 16 year old son will have an issue...lol
I bought a box of igrip studs but with 9000kms on the track then ends of the lugs are more chisel shaped so I'm not sure they will work.

Back