• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Suggestion: Member map

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
I know there are still growing pains from the site upgrade but this is something that could be added later on if the software supports it. A member map where we can mark ourselves where on the planet we are located. This is what it looks like on another site I frequent.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/membermap/

It could also be mentioned in the welcome email to voluntarily add themselves to the map.

I think we always had that- look under 'Members' at the top and there is a 'User Map' button. Not too sure if it works though because I don't see a pin for me.

Edit: It might be showing members by their IP location

Last edited:
D'oh! Missed that but it's pretty limited. It looks like it does go by IP and only those that are online, not all members. Also, when you click on the locations, it doesn't say who it is.

D'oh! Missed that but it's pretty limited. It looks like it does go by IP and only those that are online, not all members. Also, when you click on the locations, it doesn't say who it is.
Maybe it can be refined I'm not sure I'll look into it. The only thing is if you're showing who it is and what location area and specific ip it gets a little risky on privacy.

The one on the other site is voluntary and according to what you put in. So if you just use your zip or city name, it will put the market in some random place or the center. My postal code actually put the marker right at my house so I just put my city.

The one on the other site is voluntary and according to what you put in. So if you just use your zip or city name, it will put the market in some random place or the center. My postal code actually put the marker right at my house so I just put my city.
I found a couple alternates that could go along with the existing map. I have it on my list of things to do. I will talk to my web guy and see if he can help figure out something.

Try this new feature which works totally different than you mentioned. This one helps you to mark a specific location with the google maps and Creates a button called View Map for use in messages.

[map=50.512685,-104.801713]View Map[/map]

To try this new feature head over here,
  1. Move map to desired location.
  2. Copy the Map code and paste it into a message.
Example of map code:

I Know, this one works totally different but this has got its own advantages. You can now easily mark specific location and share it with other members on your post. Mainly when you want to point to a sled garage/shop/particular location etc.

Let me know if you want to have this or want it removed.

Thanks.

OK, that's cool too.

Mooseman's hometown:
[map=45.257254,-75.583287]View Map[/map]

Could definitely see how this could be used. Will this work in signatures?

OK, that's cool too.

Mooseman's hometown:
[map=45.257254,-75.583287]View Map[/map]

Could definitely see how this could be used. Will this work in signatures?

Yes you can add that code to your Profile and it will show that little button. I am also working on another map similar to your first link.

Awesome! :D

Edit: Looks like the signature thing doesn't work. There is no button.

Last edited:
Try this: go to User Map: http://www.ty4stroke.com/usermap/

To add yourself to the User Map got your profile by clicking on your user name, go into your Personal Details remove your location then click save, then re-add your location and click save once again and you will be added to the User Map.

Oh, yeah, now you're talking! Very nice. And privacy shouldn't be an issue since we only put the city/town in our location so it would just be a random place or the center of our location.

I changed mine to show closer to where I actually am. Greely is in the rural part of Ottawa.

Back