• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Summer build

Nikolai I have to ask why the 144?
did you start with the 153
then go to a 162
now a 144?
really curious was thinking about switching out the stk Mav but I dont know what I want?
( really liked the 144 x 16 on my Viper )
153 x 15
154 x 16
162 x ?

I went from the stock Maverick to a 153x15x2.25 cat challenger, then to the 144x16x2.5. When I tore that in half I went to a 150x15x2.5(got it cheap), and when I tore that in half, I bought a 144x15x2.5(current track). I think 144 is the best all around track length. It's great for jumping and will still go where everyone else does. As for the change from a 16 wide to a 15 wide, I personally do not like how the 16" wide tracks handle.

If you want to keep things simple I would get the 153x15x2.25 cat challenger or powerclaw. Both will be a huge improvement over the maverick.

Lots of work done the last couple days. Drew's sled is a rolling chassis which took two very time consuming days to complete. Tedious grinding on powder coated surfaces, greasing everything that moves, making sure everything fits perfect and is aligned. It looks really good in person and the tunnel is bulletproof, zero flex with all my weight on one running board. If you try and twist the rear bumper it just twists the entire side of the sled off the ground.

I got my tunnel attached to the bulkhead and all miscellaneous tunnel work completed. Getting the track in took half of today. I flipped my Avids around(had some funny wear last year) and had to install the driveshaft a few times to get them perfectly centered. Seat brackets are on and the bottom visible part painted. I also got the front clip done which took almost an entire day in itself.

I'll let the photographer post pics.

Well, like he said its been a long two days so far but so worth it. I let the pics do the talking as im too tired to type alot.

Calebs front clip and shocks
sledproject09001-2.jpg

My 2010 Timbersled rear skid, new mounting holes and bushings. Very labor intensive to get this thing ready, bushings were a pain!
sledproject09005-2.jpg

My front clip and shocks mounted
sledproject09006-2.jpg

Calebs extrusions and footwells coming together
sledproject09024.jpg

So clean!
sledproject09028.jpg

This thing is gonna look mean
sledproject09030.jpg

Finally, on the GROUND!!!
sledproject09039.jpg

Looks so good
sledproject09043.jpg

sledproject09046.jpg

Better pic to show the taper of the boards and the cut.
sledproject09050.jpg

Few more pictures

fitting the drive shaft to take some measurements
drivers-2.jpg

bulkhead/chain case cleaned up and assembled
bulkhead.jpg

brake back together
brake-1.jpg

WOW!!! Fantastic theme! I really like the military styling! Great job, can't wait to see it all put together... ;)!

Drew,

Are you going to take it to work and show it off for a few days when done?

David :yam:

I will have the sled done in time for the snow show, sept 25th. After that i will probabaly have it down at the shop.

We got some more done today. Caleb was able to tackle his bulletproof rear skid and get it mostly done, just waiting on hyfax and wheels now i believe. Again, powdercoat takes forever to clear off of shafts, holes, and all the misc. stuff, VERY time consuming. :o|
I was able to get some panels cut and vents in, external fuel pump and fittings on, front bumper, steering hoop and bar setup together.
Hopefully i will have my motor done this week sometime as i think that is the next step for me. :Rockon:

As for the drivers, i would prefer to have a press as it makes it easy for accurate adjustments. I have heard of people making jigs and using hammers but have never seen or tried it. If it were me though i would try and use a press.

A press is a lot easier but if you adequately support the driver, you can move them by hitting the shaft with a sledgehammer. Just make sure you put something like a block a wood between them so you don't damage the shaft.

Got the skid done except for hifax and the upper wheels which should both be here Friday. Took the entire day to put together...so time consuming :o|

rear axle detail
axle-3.jpg

shock mount detail
shaft.jpg

almost done
skidside.jpg

Back