• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Super or Turbo?

YamaMTX

Lifetime Member
I would really like my nytro to be boosted next winter but can't decide what I want to do. I have read many of the companies website and done some research. I figured since you have experience with both you might beable to tell me why I should pick one over the other?

2009 Yamaha Nytro MTX
I want it to be very reliable!
Pump gas and around 200-220 hp
my riding is MN, the UP and a trip or two out west. Regardless I look for off trail riding and boondocking not so much into highmarking
I cant afford to buy or build a sled every two years so I want it to last
I would like to be able to turn down boost if we can't find good 92 octane
Would like to still get reasonable mpg
Any additional information you can provide or need is appreciated

Thanks for your time!

There is some real bad info on that site. The guy blew it when he said the rx-1 was fuel injected & it went downhill from there.

I can start with him quoting heat from the front mount destroys all the panels; steering posts & wiring. In 2 different kits I have had plus others I have seen if properly installed that won,t happen.

turbo or supercharger

i think i would go with the super charger for trail driving but for all out hp thats free the turbo is better.i have worked on many vechiles with both the super charger makes less heat lets face it 200hp rx1 traibile is plenty for me

I have the s/c and it ran real good. It was a very easy instal.I like being able to run pump gas on 7 lbs of boost.200+ hp is all I need on the trail.good luck and hang on.

Superchargers are great, turbos are great. The thing about the supercharger is if you want to upgrade to a larger unit down the road it is not very cost effective. The turbo you can simply upgrade the turbo and go higher boost and leave the rest of the system the same!

My .02 use our 180 kit set at 5 lbs boost with an aftermarket muffler (makes 7-8 hp more with aftermarket muffler) for low elevation and put a boost controller and run it 8-10 lbs boost at higher elevations.

Thanks for the response Srx! What are the benifits of going with the 210 turbo over the 180 kit?

The price of the 180 is nice! I see you change turbos. Just want to wiegh my options.

Thanks for your time!

The simplest all around setup would be to buy the 210 "high elevation" turbo kit and run it at 5 lbs boost in MN, WI, MI then use a boost controller to turn it up to 8 lbs above 6,000 feet or 10 lbs above 8,000 feet.

The difference between standard trail 180 kit to trail 210 kit is simply boost pressure run, but that small change in boost pressure requires a new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, etc. The 210 turbo will be more efficient at 10 lbs boost at upper elevations, but with the extra fuel pump and higher fuel pressure the mapping gets tricky at high elevation. That is why I would go with the 210 "high elevation" kit but run it at 5 lbs boost at low elevation and then turn it up at higher elevations.

I would recommend a AEM air/fuel ratio gauge, boost gauge, and water temp gauge as well. Fuel mileage riding in general trail riding is 13-14 mpg. Of course the harder you push it the more fuel it'll use. Change the oil every 1500 miles and turn the key and ride when needed with that setup on pump gas 91 octane.

Thanks for all that great info! It clears alot of questions up for me. If all goes well I hope to be buying one around this fall.

Give us a call if you have any other questions. We will have some "summer" pricing soon as well.

Back