• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Supercharged apex....won't spin past 9000rpm

Woody255

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Vmax4's
Hi all,
I have an Apex built for snow drags with an MPI s/c, stage 2...2 1/2. Running 18-19psi at 10,400 on pure C14+. PC5 with Autotune, POD300 data logger etc. This was built a few years ago and has dominated the local snow drags. At the end of the season, I began having a few issues with the throttle bodies coming lose, as I did not have them tethered down securely. That has been resolved, and all was good. At the last heat of the day, I could only run up to 9000rpm, and I still cannot figure out why. No abnormal noise, both S/c belts are good, throttle bodies secure etc. AFR readings are proper, clutches look fine...any ideas out there? Thanks. Woody

No, haven’t changed anything. It was working great, and the very next pass it wouldn’t pull the rpm.

how heat soaked was the sled? where clutches hot?

It did not get hot. Engine runs perfectly, just simply won’t climb to full rpm. My first though was a SC belt failure, but they are ok....I will do a compression test to be sure, but I do not think it’s an engine problem.
Mr.Sled, 19psi

Does it rev / pull hard right to 9000 rpm then flat-line?
Same with boost? Jumps up then flat-lines? If so, maybe if your SC has an internal sprag type clutch it might be that it's now junk / slipping when reaches a given boost level... Seen that happen on certain model MPI SC's (aren't repairable), and have that happening right now on a SC Wave Runner.

Does it rev / pull hard right to 9000 rpm then flat-line?
Same with boost? Jumps up then flat-lines? If so, maybe if your SC has an internal sprag type clutch it might be that it's now junk / slipping when reaches a given boost level... Seen that happen on certain model MPI SC's (aren't repairable), and have that happening right now on a SC Wave Runner.

Yes, that’s what’s happening. All seems well until I run 100% throttle. Happen to have any photos ? Thanks

Update here...found the vacuum line coming off the BOV was severely cracked. Fixed the hose, problem solved.

Back