• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Supercharged Nytro AFR differences with hood off

Krummy

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 FX Nytro
I went up for the first time this year thinking I had cured my fuel issues from last year with a new inline pump and FPR. After taking it out at 8.5 psi, I am still seeing 12.7-13 AFR at WOT. I then went to adjust my blow off valve and kept the hood off during testing. I took it out and started getting cruise AFR in the 9's which had never happened before. I then took it out for a blast with the same boost and saw AFR's in the 11.5-11.8 range WOT. I then put my hood back on and my WOT AFR's went right back to the upper 12's to 13. I am at a loss as to why the AFR's would be drastically lower with the hood off rather than with the hood on. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Ultimately I am thinking I will need to upgrade to PCV-PTI with 430cc injectors but I am still confused why it ran so well with the hood off and why the numbers were so different.

Maybe the intake air flow is smoother with the hood on, turbulent and therefore less efficient with it off. Be warned this is a complete guess by a total novice.

No charge.

Haha, yeah it just doesnt make any sense to me. It is a supercharger with a cold air intake over the clutch gaurd. I am wondering if one of my boost reference lines for the fpr, gems, or koso gauge is getting kinked by the hood and if that would change these numbers

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge inline after the pump? Your fuel pump can change pressure flow slightly from the heat under the hood, on my setup I see a 2 to 3 lb difference from when I start it cold to running at idle warmed up. The pump can heat soak. I always set my fuel pressure on a warm motor

I’m with Yukonmp in both theory and expertise, I suspect with hood off there is a significant difference in air flow direction and pressure
Again no charge for this opinion based on old physics and pulmonary (lung) air flow training. LOL

Back