• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SUPERTUNER ECP FILTER QUESTION

FlatLandRacing

Extreme
Running kit as shipped with 165 mains and screws out 3 turns, stock needle height, getting a hesitation when running the trails in the 60-80 mph range. When you back off for a corner and then hit it WOT you get a second delay before the power comes on. Could this be needle height related and a lean condition as it transitions off the needle and onto full main jet ?

Tim...try turning choke partially on next time & see if it helps. Usually lean condition at partial throttle are pilots or needles.

This is happening when you are running hard going on and off the throttle, would be very difficult to run with the choke on in this situation and is not like holding WOT across the lake and feeding in some choke. It is not lean but has a delay when going WOT after backing off for a corner making me think it is needle height and a possible momentary fuel starvation when transitioning from needle to full main jet.

Yes, that is exactally what I was feeling. You need to raise your needles, I have mine all the way up and the hesitation you speak of is greatly reduced. I have my screws out 3.5 turns also. I am running 170 mains on top of it. The needles did make a huge difference.

im in northern maine at about 200ft and i am having the exact same problem,from idle to top end no problems but when on and off throttle around 5-6000 rpm about a sec hesitation. also has been -5 to -25 deg,was hoping for an above zero day to try it but not til tomorrow,will try raising needle first because i dont think bigger main jet will help(165 now),my top end is pulling fine,also i have never touched my fuel screws,was told by dealer that those were set at factory and they can all be different so setting them all at say 3 turns will have a negative effect on it,the ecp kit did make a big difference and i think its just a matter of a little tweaking to get it perfect,still have very few drug trails because of a big thaw so railroad beds are it unless i want to trailer a long ways oh well it will get here sooner or later

Hi 170plus where do you live and what dealer was you talking about. Thats funny way up in the COUNTY is less alitude than here in So. Maine my house sets at 330ft. Now i was in jackman at 1,400ft. and temp. was 35 plus degrees this was at christmas guys, w/stock kit set up and mine was gurgling bad,and my needles were and still are down one step from stock,w/silver springs 165 mains.

Ecp filter qustion

I had this problem when I installed the silver springs I removed the carbs and installed #20 pilots and it does not have any hesitation

maineiac from washburn aroostook county maine

hey beast i live in washburn,rogers in ft kent told me not to touch the fuel screws is that right or no,i see where someone said thats its improtant to sync carbs after kit install and changine screws and needle position ??? true or false ??? i hear a different thing from different people,i will call freddie on monday after i do some tweaking just to see what he says,i was just out on the rr bed and hit 129 several time which is what i would hit all last year with the gearing i have so i'm not losing anything on top ,just want to get rid of the bobble,you said that at 35 deg it still does it so temp doesnt effect it much by the sounds so i will start adjusting tomorrow,let me know about the fuel screws and needle position,yeah we are pretty low elevation here close to st john river tho,ft kent is even lower than we are seems strange but were not far from st lawrence river either keep the good info coming and i'll let you know when the snow gets to covering the fields,dont head this way unless you LOVE rr be riding cause not much else in the county right now

Mine was doing the same thing,I set all my fuel screws at 2.5 turns and that took care off it.The fuel screws are all set different at the factory for epa emissions.

The only hesitation I have is when you shut off the throttle at 60-80mph to enter a corner or slow for a big bump and then go WOT ! There is like a second pause and them it comes on hard, I have no burble or anything like that and from standing start or half throttle to WOT its fine. Gonna try raising needles and see if it cures it.

Closed throttle to wide open I believe is controlled by your springs. They control how fast the slide opens from 0 to 100% throttle. You may have some luck with moving the clip on your needle maybe I dont know if these needles have profiles or not. It could richen or lean it out a little more at different slide positions.

Flatland...try richening your needles. I would also set the fuel screws at or around 2.25 to 2.5 turns open from seated to begin with. Check and make sure you don't have an air leak first by spraying some carburetor cleaner around where the intake manifolds meet the cylinder head and where the carbs meet the manifolds.

I wouls also synchronize your carburetors with a manometer. This is far more important with CV carburetors than most folks think.

Good luck,
Freddie

wrong elevation

hey beast....... oops :oops: kinda feel dumb were at about 700 ft not 200 feet,i got to thinking about what you had written back so i double checked my map i read it wrong,duh,i will take a burn up to van buren and back tomorrow morning,then to the garage for the fuel screw adjustment and to raise my needles 1 click,also i bought a box of allen head screws at fastenal for 3 buckx will toss factory float bowl screws while im at it cause they bite will let you know how adjustmwnt work by tomorrow night if all goes well

Raising needles to the highest did not seem to have any effect other than burning more fuel when cruising. I believe the second pause from closed to WOT when cornering may be a clutch issues and the sec delay is just it back shifting and getting back into the right ratio to allow the motor to wind up. Gonna play with clutching to see if it changes. Plugs are a nice tan color running 165 at -20c (-5f), I do not see any need to run any larger jetting unless it is a pure drag race application.

Back