• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Survey Results: Trail Riders Studs

Website
snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca
Thanks to all you guys who filled out the survey. I had over 300 responses when I closed the link. That is a very good sample. The weighting was 60% American 40% Canadian with a couple of our European buddies for good measure. When I broke it down by country the response ratio was virtually unaffected.
The high hard ones: It's a 50/50 split between those who do and those who don't stud averaged across the RX/Rs/FX series, the ratio goes up to 60% studded when looking only at RX (4-cylinder). The number one reason to stud is braking followed by cornering with acceleration a distant third (15%).
Over 60% would consider a pre-studded or Ice Ripper type track. 16% have had stud related failures mostly related to heat exchanger punctures and torn tracks (outside edges mostly). Regarding the future trend: 50% intend to stud, 50% are bare-footers its a wash!
Thanks again cheers cr

I can understand that not everyone want studs, i prefer studs but....

One nice thing is if Yamaha offer 2 or 3 track option with is new sled so everyone can find the best track for there riding style.

3 option track to consider with our new Yamaha sled:

-Ice ripper ( pre studed )
-ripsaw ( nice overall track, can be studed if needed )
-Cobra ( more traction in off trail condition )

Rock

I used to be a firm believer in studs. I was up in Quebec one time and we were 150 miles from the truck when (2) of my studs went through the heat exchanger on my 05 vector. I have not run studs since. There are times where I miss them but overall I don't think I will use them again.

I have put studs through the cheap Y amaha heat exchangers on an RX-1, and a Rage GT. I now you the Ice Ripper track as a compromise between studa nad no studs.

ROCKRTX said:

One nice thing is if Yamaha offer 2 or 3 track option with is new sled so everyone can find the best track for there riding style.

Rock

Why not offer a pre-holed track? it sure would save alot of hassle for the dealers or DIY guy.

shaddow44 said:
ROCKRTX said:

Rock

Why not offer a pre-holed track? it sure would save alot of hassle for the dealers or DIY guy.

That would be hard as there are so many different stud patterns out there, no one can please everyone. Easier to let the end user do it to their taste. Like me , i prefer not to stud and would love to see the sled come with a crossover track 1.5 or 1.75 for instance.

Zakre said:
shaddow44 said:
ROCKRTX said:

Rock

That would be hard as there are so many different stud patterns out there, no one can please everyone. Easier to let the end user do it to their taste. Like me , i prefer not to stud and would love to see the sled come with a crossover track 1.5 or 1.75 for instance.

Coming from the same area as me, where do you ride that you need a track with that size lug?

shaddow44 said:
ROCKRTX said:

Rock

Good point , pre-holed track are a little stronger around the hole because you don't cut the string,the string pass each side of the pre-molded hole.

The 2 main reason people studs is for braking and icy corner,every pattern can do that no problem.Most people will be please with a pre-holed track......Most not all people.

ROCKRTX said:

Rock

Yep 100% agree & would be a lot less headaches if Ice ripper was offered out of the box with new Apex.

Back