• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Suspension coupling help.

thegrizzly1

Lifetime Member
So I finally got out on my new 2013 RS Venture GT and like many have posted here, It rides like a lumber wagon. I did a fair amount of searching yesterday, and last night I made the following adjustments:

1. Set the torsion spring blocks to soft.
2. Set the rear clicker at 6of12 clicks It was at 9of12. I am assuming I decreased the damping force.
3. I really don't want to mess with my limiter straps just yet. I read in a few places that is the last thing to do.
4. For the time being I left my front shocks where there were.
5. I backed off the preload on my center shock. It was pretty loose where it was, but I went till the spring was loose (with the rear of the sled suspended) and then just snugged it up.

Most of my concern/complaint is the sled was very twitchy and all over the trail. By loosening up the center shock preload, that should get rid of some of tippy/twitchy feeling. The other thing I would like to be able to do is to be able to carry the skis a little under throttle. I've been able to do this on all my other sleds. If I saw a bump coming up I could gas it and float the front end a little. I know this has to do with my coupling rods and weight transfer. The owner’s manual is pretty vague in a description. Is increasing weight transfer shifting it to the track i.e. picking up the front end, or is it increasing the transfer forward to keep the skis planted? Again, what I am looking for is a little ski lift under hard acceleration.

I only had the chance to run around the yard a few times and could not adequately judge the difference in the changes I made so far.
Thanks in advance for the help.
:rocks:

Backing off the front track shock will put more weight on the skis. If you are happy with the steering effort then you can leave the front shocks alone. But wait! you have power steering don't you! Lucky you. Can't remember about the transfer rods. will have to look at the manual again.

back off the rear transfer rods to the middle mark start there then adjust them back more if needed, from the factory they are set in to the 3rd line just set up a buddies 09 venture gt now his skis float out of the corners as you are stating. loosen up front shock springs and set dails to the middle settings work out from there, we also put limit straps in the middle hole now he says it rails the corners

You have to soften everything to the max. This s;ed was setup for two up riding period. I replaced the rear spring with a older model venture rear spring and it's a completely different sled. I have some othet posting on the site on this subject if you care to search.

I agree. These sleds are set up for max weight. Every time you change one thing it effects another.

Yes, I've owned two of them. Yamaha's marketing hype that they are adjustable for one up riding is a plain lie. I finally got my 2012 setup great for one rider by changing the stiff as hell spring to an older venture spring. It now has a rear suspension.

I've read through many of the posts, and I would have to agree it is sprung on the stiff side. But I guess the main point of my original post was to find out which way to go with the control rods to get more ski lift under acceleration. I'm still a little unclear on that. Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride a little more this weekend. the 50 miles I did do with the wife on back was comfortable as far as the ride goes. I think we bottomed out twice and our trails are really rough right now. I know with two people on it, I do use 95% of the suspension travel. How many miles to you have on your sleds? I do know from personal experience several sleds I've had in the past took a pretty good (1000 mile) break in before the suspension really loosened up.

The owners manual tells you about the control rod adjustment, In 10,000 miles of riding the Venture GT I never adjusted mine. Ski lift was about right. In fact after 10 Yamaha's bothe apex's and touring machines I haven't seen a need for more ski lift. If you get the rear suspension set soft enough you will get more ski lift with out adjusting the rod.

Back