• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Suspension Question

Boston RX1

TY 4 Stroke Master
I was out in 1-2' moguls this weekend and really took a beating. It was like riding a mechanical bull. I would like to know if there is a different suspension that you have used that works better than the stock. I have made many changes with great improvement, but I have never had bumps like these. I know many will say this is nothing, that may be true, but that is not my point. I would like to know if anyone has experience with after market suspensions and what were the results. By the way, the Revs were going by us like we were standing still. They all had a big S eating grins on their faces. I will never leave the 4 stroke, so I would like to know what can I do to improve the ride in the bumps. Thanks.

I saw a Warrior skid on here for $500! Adjustable shock damping, a longer wheelbase, bolt it in, set it for you weigth, and go!

M10's are awesome for most, but 3 times the price of a used Warrior skid...

Rear Skid

He already has the 136" skid with new shocks and springs. I'm thinking there must be something you can do to adjust it to handle those bumps better. If you want to spend the $$ then go with the M-10. It will definitely out perform the Expert in those kind of conditions. Which option MPI did you use? Did you relocate the skid or just extend the rails?

I have the stage 3 kit. I think it just extended the rails. I will continue to tune, but I was with a Warrior this weekend and he was talking about a different skid as well. I do not how much different the Warrior is. I guess I can thank my lucky stars that I do not see these conditions very much in New England.

Warrior skid

The guy I talked to at MPI said the stage 3 was pretty much identical to the Warrior depending on what you use for shocks. I was thinking about the stage 2 because you move the skid back and change the approach angle. If not that , then I'll probably end up with the 136 M-10.

Hey Dana!

Just be thankful you were riding your 136" instead of my shorty :lol: Next time out you can try my shorty and you'll be begging to go back to your 136" :lol: I don't know about you my friend but my shorty kicked my butt. I'm sore as hell after the beating I took from those bumpy trails on Sat. I guess unless we spend the big bucks for the Expert or the M-10 we'll be sucking hind teet!

I think I am going to have to try one before I buy another thing for my sled. It is great to hear all of the hype, but I am getting into serious money now and I want to make sure that what I buy I am totally happy with. If you do this mod, please let me know. 136' with an M10 and a turbo, we are going to become close friends! Have you ever seen 1-2' moguls in New England? This is another reason why I may hold off, I have not come across anything like that, although I will admit, I am new to the sport. I have a couple of years under my belt. Let me know.

Moguls

At this point I would be happy to have snow. Although the riding in Pittsburgh is supposed to be good.

You will find those 1" to 2" in Pittsburg on heavy weekends.

I have belonged to the club there for 20 years, but I will not go back to ride because I can ride in Northern Maine on Smooth trails , same for Quebec and New Brunswick.

You guys are also forgetting that the rx-1 weights 100lbs more than the other sleds...

THe rev was made for the Moguls!! it likes em...

I doubt highly that you will ever make the rx ride like a rev...

Buckeye: where in the Lakes region are you? I'm in the Moultonboro area, run the Moultonboro club website (www.moultonborosmc.com). Took a walk on the local trail last night and it looks like spring with all the water running everywhere.

You'll see those moguls even in Maine on occasions. I did the Black Fly loop out of Rangeley a few years ago, and the section going west from Kingfield and ITS 84 (I think) in the Philips area going towards Rangeley had miles and miles of the old 1 - 2 ' moguls.

Local I spoke to claimed they groomed but the 'tourists' tore the trails up. Rather strange was that we took some local trails off the main route that were great, and that the moment you hit the Rangeley club border, the ITS trail improved dramatically.

The Warrior isn't going to match the REV for mogul eating, but it's good enough for most northern NH and Maine trails.

After a day in Rangley last year (180 miles) and a day on the couch recovering I sprung for a new Expert X. The Expert is a big improvment over the stock suspension thru the stutter bumps but on the 2 footers it still takes alot of work to keep your butt off the seat. This is really the only thing the Rev does better (ride standing) than the all the rest 8)

Where am I from?

tshelver,
Gilford, You're right the local trails are non existent. They say you have to go at least to Twin Mtn. At least the ponds are frozen and available for testing. No snow in the forecast either. :(

Back