• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SW/ZR vs polaris 850

timmyz06

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
switchback assault
Hey there,
Its my first post here! I am in the process of getting a new sled. As of right now, i have a large deposit on a assault 850 2020, which wont be here for at least a month! Then i started to look on YouTube about TD flashes SW/ZR and hollysh!t those seems to be something!! My last sled was a 2018 assault 800 and wow the fun factor on this sled was sky high!! Now , im wordering what if i decide to go on SW or ZR RR, am i gonna miss ditch banging and 2 strokes handling!?? im a pretty aggressive rider in the twisty and very dynamic, i ride a lot standing! I know, powerwise there is no comparaison even with the 850! but what about having fun, how those riders coming from 2 strokes like their experience? Any regrets? Axys riding position is almost perfect, how's the SW/AC chassis? Never rode one! I know its a Yammie forum, but im looking for honest inputs from those who had the 2!! Reliabity here isnt a concern, since Popo will have 4 years warranty, i also dont consider gas mileage or oil. Bottom line is, am i gonna smile all ride long with a ZR 9000RR with SM 16 spool an scary power to make up for the lesser easy machine in the thight stuff!! Thanks in advance!!

BTW, regardless of the sled im getting, i have a pair of mohawk skis waiting! I know the tuner sucks!

trail/ off trails ratio 75/25

What track length are youlooking for?
The 137 Winder is a very "planted" chassis and probably not the type of "fun factor" you're looking for. The 129 or 141 would give you that playful feeling I'm guessing you're looking for.

For power...you’re not gonna beat a sidewinder or ZR/TCat Turbo. Even stock it’s gonna out power any 850 by 40 horse.

but in my opinion...it’s not a stand up type of sled. It’s not gonna be super flickable in the tight stuff like your Doo or Poo 850’s are.

Now, when tuned it’s gonna be a riot...but it’s still not gonna feel like an 850. It’s gonna blow the 850 out of the water in every way with regard to power, but it’s not gonna have that super light feeling imo. Yes power to weight will be off the charts, but if super tight trail riding is your thing...bashing over 3 foot plus junkers, then the Winder/Cat Turbo ain’t gonna be your thing.

But imo...there ain’t nothing that comes close to a tuned Winder/Cat when you grab a handful of throttle. But I don’t need, nor want to ride like a snocrosser/ditchbanger where I ride either. So you need to take that into consideration.

For power...you’re not gonna beat a sidewinder or ZR/TCat Turbo. Even stock it’s gonna out power any 850 by 40 horse.

but in my opinion...it’s not a stand up type of sled. It’s not gonna be super flickable in the tight stuff like your Doo or Poo 850’s are.

Now, when tuned it’s gonna be a riot...but it’s still not gonna feel like an 850. It’s gonna blow the 850 out of the water in every way with regard to power, but it’s not gonna have that super light feeling imo. Yes power to weight will be off the charts, but if super tight trail riding is your thing...bashing over 3 foot plus junkers, then the Winder/Cat Turbo ain’t gonna be your thing.

But imo...there ain’t nothing that comes close to a tuned Winder/Cat when you grab a handful of throttle. But I don’t need, nor want to ride like a snocrosser/ditchbanger where I ride either. So you need to take that into consideration.
I know power wont be nowhere, even though the 2020 patriot 850 made 176hp it still wont be near sw/Zr. But riding like a motocross is what i liked the most about the Axys chassis, since im a standing up aggressive rider! Best would be riding one, but that aint gonna happen soon! BTW i found a ZR 9000 RR 2018 with very low miles. Folks around keeps saying the AC Clutches are better than Yamaha!? I thought it was the opposite!

I know power wont be nowhere, even though the 2020 patriot 850 made 176hp it still wont be near sw/Zr. But riding like a motocross is what i liked the most about the Axys chassis, since im a standing up aggressive rider! Best would be riding one, but that aint gonna happen soon! BTW i found a ZR 9000 RR 2018 with very low miles. Folks around keeps saying the AC Clutches are better than Yamaha!? I thought it was the opposite!

Ya, this ain’t a stand up chassis in my opinion...or at least one that you’re gonna ride like a snocross sled that has a 440 in it. This is a 1000 4 stroke...and the weight compared to an 850 two stroke is there! You’re not gonna be able to ride this like a motocross bike imo. Ain’t built for that.

So the 850 patriot makes about 175 HP...impressive. So the winder/cat Turbo has 30 more horse in stock trim..I stand corrected.

If You love hanging and banging Ditch riding..this sled isn’t that! What it is, is a total beast stock, and Rabid monster tuned. On long and big wide open trails, with sweeping turns and open fields, it’s gonna punish other machines hard, and put to shame any other machine! Big miles and big trails it’s at home..nothing better. That’s where it shines.

Ditch banging and standing up...nah not the Winder/Cat Turbo.

Yamaha’s clutching was always better..up until this 998 Turbo. Then somehow Cat improved theirs, and I think the Cats clutching in stock form is better now.

In a drag race the 850 ain't nothing. I watched stock Winders beat up on them at both St.Germain and Lakewood's last winter. Boost it and its not even in the same zip code. But if you like playing around then its gonna disappoint you. You will miss the instant throttle response and light feel of the 850.

In a drag race the 850 ain't nothing. I watched stock Winders beat up on them at both St.Germain and Lakewood's last winter. Boost it and its not even in the same zip code. But if you like playing around then its gonna disappoint you. You will miss the instant throttle response and light feel of the 850.
I dont doubt that at all! Powerwise it must be crazy to ride!! i like to messaround at every spot i find for jumping, wheeleing, sidehilling and getting stuck:jump:. but still be something riding a freight train like a raped ape on snow!! I guess all told wouldnt be exactly what im looking for tho!

Ya, this ain’t a stand up chassis in my opinion...or at least one that you’re gonna ride like a snocross sled that has a 440 in it. This is a 1000 4 stroke...and the weight compared to an 850 two stroke is there! You’re not gonna be able to ride this like a motocross bike imo. Ain’t built for that.

So the 850 patriot makes about 175 HP...impressive. So the winder/cat Turbo has 30 more horse in stock trim..I stand corrected.

If You love hanging and banging Ditch riding..this sled isn’t that! What it is, is a total beast stock, and Rabid monster tuned. On long and big wide open trails, with sweeping turns and open fields, it’s gonna punish other machines hard, and put to shame any other machine! Big miles and big trails it’s at home..nothing better. That’s where it shines.

Ditch banging and standing up...nah not the Winder/Cat Turbo.

Yamaha’s clutching was always better..up until this 998 Turbo. Then somehow Cat improved theirs, and I think the Cats clutching in stock form is better now.

IMO, I think the "somehow" Cat improved theirs is finally realizing (or admitting) their clutching was terrible for so many years. I think for the 998 they decided to give Team a chance and IMO it worked.
I have about 3600 miles on my ZR9000 Ltd with stock Team clutches, most all miles with 280 tune and lots of long carbide studs. Again, this summer when I pulled them to do maintenance, there was literally nothing to do except blow the dust off them. Both primary and secondary were in "like-new" condition. Primary: (81 gms of weight) spider still so tight I had to push/pull movable in and out, weight bushings still tight and like new, rollers still tight and like new. Secondary: no wear on rollers, helix like new, no play in bushing. So, either I'm very lucky or this may say something about Team clutches on these 998s. I think the Team clutches enjoy being mounted to the 998. They seem very compatible. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes and someone would have told me this is what would happen I would have told them no way. I hope it continues.

I dont doubt that at all! Powerwise it must be crazy to ride!! i like to messaround at every spot i find for jumping, wheeleing, sidehilling and getting stuck:jump:. but still be something riding a freight train like a raped ape on snow!! I guess all told wouldnt be exactly what im looking for tho!

I agree...it isn’t what you’re looking for.

You’d be blown away by the power and torque..it is a Raped ape Freight Train..full on!!

But it isn’t a ditchbanger, jumping, playing in the powder, sidehilling motocross type of sled.

Depends how big and strong you are...i can handle a four stroke just as easy as i can a 2 stroke...the weight does not keep me from doing anything!!!i weight in a strong 6'2 215lb

Depends how big and strong you are...i can handle a four stroke just as easy as i can a 2 stroke...the weight does not keep me from doing anything!!!i weight in a strong 6'2 215lb
Well im 5'11 and 195 lbs and i consider myself pretty fit!! But thats not th point, i have the strenght to handle a heavy sled, but is it my best option, that is the question!

Well im 5'11 and 195 lbs and i consider myself pretty fit!! But thats not th point, i have the strenght to handle a heavy sled, but is it my best option, that is the question!

Exactly. Most of us guys can handle it..and are strong enough. But it’s(The Winder) not in its element for what the guy was wanting to do with it.

You must feel the power of the dark sled..then you will be the master

Back