• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SW/ZR vs polaris 850

The assault is very hard to beat as trail machine though, axys front end ans seating position makes a world difference! But it also have more ski lift . that sled with the 998 oufff would be insane!!!

A 129 sidewinder with good shocks is a far better trail machine than an assault. Obviously off trail the assault is much better. My riding buddy has a 2017 pro-s 800, supposed to be the best riding and handing trail sled Polaris makes, and I found it disappointing whenever I've ridden it. It rides nice, but gets inside ski lift and pushes around the corners a bit. I am also sure the suspension could be set up better than he has it.

I am not brand loyal at all, I buy whatever is the best sled for me.

I think the bottom line is that you have to be completely honest with yourself. There was a good YouTube episode from Snowmobile television that discusses this greatly. It sounds like you are that way. You say 90% trail 10 off. I’m thinking the ZR/SW will suite you well. You can jump and do whatever if you are set up rt and want the most power. If you have the Polaris set up correctly and jump ditch bang hill climb I would say it’s your choice. If I was younger I would say it would be a tough decision as both are excellent machines. I don’t think you will be dissatisfied with either but ultimately one will fit you better and that’s your call. I have ridden them all. No doubt they are killer. Can’t wait to see what you choose. One other thing to consider Is that with the turbo you can add endless power. You are going to be able to do that with the Polaris or at least not the incredible gains you get from tuning the turbo. Good luck

Be honest with yourself where and how you ride. My wife has a nice 18 600 Pro S. I like driving it. It is nimble , comfortable and has many great qualities. On the lake it is too light in my opinion and of course not close in speed. My wife hates my sled. Too heavy for her. Different strokes for different folks. Personally if I was a ditch banger I would go with the POO.

Be honest with yourself where and how you ride. My wife has a nice 18 600 Pro S. I like driving it. It is nimble , comfortable and has many great qualities. On the lake it is too light in my opinion and of course not close in speed. My wife hates my sled. Too heavy for her. Different strokes for different folks. Personally if I was a ditch banger I would go with the POO.

ProS are definitely nimble and fun too ride!
I will say this tho, if you get into big bumps I don’t like them as well as my Viper. They tend to dart around when blasting through big woops. The heavier front end is actually good IMO when it comes to tractability.

I have a SW and my good friend has a 19 850 Polaris which I have rode for a bit.... Based on what you describe you definitely want the 850.

So I had the same dilemma the end of last year after I got hit by a car on my 2014 AC 7000 4 stroke and totaled it, loved that motor and over handling of that sled... So I started looking at poo 800's and AC 9000/SW, I found a 2 year old 2017 AC 9000 new in the crate for $10.5K. At that price I couldn't turn it down especially since I could get a new poo close to that price, but in the back of my mind I knew I would be happier with a lighter 2 stroke (drove a buddy's 2 stroke that year and I didn't want to give it back because it was so light and nimble) since I like to stand, bang ditches and do wheelies, but the value of the AC and reliability of the 4 stroke over a 2 stroke made my decision.. the idea of paying that much for a sled with a 2 stroke that hopefully gets 6K miles just didn't sit good with me.

So I got my sled at the end of the season and only was able to get 230 miles on the sled (break in is 300) and after the initial few days of riding it I hated it.. for some reason it felt heavier and less playful then my '14 4 stroke... It felt like a pig. I seriously considered selling it, in fact I was sure I would.. I was really disappointed.... Then the last day of riding it I started to do some pulls on it and... What they said is true...you giggle, it pulls so godly crazy, just after the one night I changed my mind on keep it. (But already planning on buy a cheeper ditch banger)

Now, I ride primary trails so logically it's the smarter long term investment for over all performance, reliability and resale value, it does lack/hurt some riding styles but is the trade off worth it? I dunno, I can't truly answer this yet..

I'm looking forward to this season coming up as this will be my true evaluation of this sled, I really can't wait to get it up to the UP where it will shine...

So I had the same dilemma the end of last year after I got hit by a car on my 2014 AC 7000 4 stroke and totaled it, loved that motor and over handling of that sled... So I started looking at poo 800's and AC 9000/SW, I found a 2 year old 2017 AC 9000 new in the crate for $10.5K. At that price I couldn't turn it down especially since I could get a new poo close to that price, but in the back of my mind I knew I would be happier with a lighter 2 stroke (drove a buddy's 2 stroke that year and I didn't want to give it back because it was so light and nimble) since I like to stand, bang ditches and do wheelies, but the value of the AC and reliability of the 4 stroke over a 2 stroke made my decision.. the idea of paying that much for a sled with a 2 stroke that hopefully gets 6K miles just didn't sit good with me.

So I got my sled at the end of the season and only was able to get 230 miles on the sled (break in is 300) and after the initial few days of riding it I hated it.. for some reason it felt heavier and less playful then my '14 4 stroke... It felt like a pig. I seriously considered selling it, in fact I was sure I would.. I was really disappointed.... Then the last day of riding it I started to do some pulls on it and... What they said is true...you giggle, it pulls so godly crazy, just after the one night I changed my mind on keep it. (But already planning on buy a cheeper ditch banger)

Now, I ride primary trails so logically it's the smarter long term investment for over all performance, reliability and resale value, it does lack/hurt some riding styles but is the trade off worth it? I dunno, I can't truly answer this yet..

I'm looking forward to this season coming up as this will be my true evaluation of this sled, I really can't wait to get it up to the UP where it will shine...

I think we all know that feeling. There are times in the same day when my sw just doesn't handle well, and then the temp changes or the base and it's on rails. Ride is always pretty good, good on moguls, but once the engine is factored in, game over! I ride by 'sound'...hard to explain but the little burble when slightly letting off, sets the front end, and then just drive with the throttle...and the engine is ALWAYS there. Fast, slow, doesn't matter, easy to drive, and just plain FUN!

Agree 100 percent about a tuned yamacat being a scream performance wise, with a ski swap i personally put the ‘trail’ handling on par with the polaris and way ahead of the slip catch and tip gen 4 yellow sleds. An elephant in the room nobody has mentioned here is over the many years my buddies high performance two strokes, even brand new ones have a habit of having catastrophic engine problems whenever we plan a big trip, no rental coverage in your warranty when your second day into 1600 kms around Gaspe. Depending how many kms you ride finding oil gets to be a pain in the #*$&@ too, more familiar with doo 850s but when we are on it in Quebec their low oil lights come on by mid to later afternoon everyday. They started filling linq gas tank with bulk injector. I play off trail while they put expensive stinky oil in.

I think we all know that feeling. There are times in the same day when my sw just doesn't handle well, and then the temp changes or the base and it's on rails. Ride is always pretty good, good on moguls, but once the engine is factored in, game over! I ride by 'sound'...hard to explain but the little burble when slightly letting off, sets the front end, and then just drive with the throttle...and the engine is ALWAYS there. Fast, slow, doesn't matter, easy to drive, and just plain FUN!
I 'hear' ya. Pun intended, lol

I'm going to run 1 season on stock tune just to ensure a proper engine break in, then next year I'm planning on Turbo Dynamics Eco Trail tune, I figure a bump up to 250 hp should be satisfying enough.

I have no handling issues with the sled, actually I think it's pretty good, although I thinking wider front ski's would be nice for better floatation

I'm going to run 1 season on stock tune just to ensure a proper engine break in, then next year I'm planning on Turbo Dynamics Eco Trail tune, I figure a bump up to 250 hp should be satisfying enough.

I have no handling issues with the sled, actually I think it's pretty good, although I thinking wider front ski's would be nice for better floatation
If you can run PT w/stock muffler,that is the route I would go,i think you will be ready for PT after a week of running ecotrail,thats just my opion,but all most every one who started with eco now have powertrail or more,not sure if you are interested in noise or not,but most of us older guys are just sick of that loud baarrk of noisy pipes. Just a thought.

Back