• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SxS vs snowmobiling

Apexpat

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Apex
My better half and I went to Da UP this weekend to get away and enjoy some fall colors. On Saturday we decided to rent a side by side. Something I’ve always wanted to do. Started in Seney and rode a loop to Grand Marais, Pine Stump, Newberry and back. Combination of side roads and snowmobile trails. Although very wet from the rain, we had a blast. So my question is this. How many people have thought about reducing snowmobile riding and introducing this type of sxs riding? More comfortable riding conditions, very little traffic, same trails as snowmobiling, and not the worry about ever changing conditions? I’m an avid snowmobile rider and would never give this up, but this sxs riding really appealed to me. Rode my favorite areas and ate at my favorite pit stops in Grand Marais and Pine Stump. And again zero crowd on a Saturday afternoon. I own 3 sleds, 2 Apex’s and a vector, but could see downsizing to get into this. Maybe just exciting because i was back on the trail or it was something new, but I see lots of advantages. And the biggest is the riding season is now extended to 3 seasons. And the weather and tempature don’t matter. Get up and ride. I have been lurking for a few years and this has really peaked my interest. I think a Yamaha Wolverine X4 would fit the bill. Something I could throw the wife and kids in. They love the outdoors and could incorporate the family more often than I do snowmobiling. Which for family guys this is always a struggle when headed up north with the boys in the winter.
I noticed there isnt much traffic on the atv forums about riding. Do you snowmobile guys cross over into this sport? Am I missing something here? Curious on your thoughts and experiences in this area.

E89B3B7C-2536-4DA2-B564-90E1043945AF.jpeg

I have both. The thrill is just not there on a sxs like a sled. The squeeze the throttle and goooooo is just to much fun!!

I agree on the less fun factor, but at 50 I’m just happy to be in the woods and riding. Although less trails than snowmobiling, looks like lots of designated atv trails to ride. As far as owing both i would do that, but you can only own so many toys and only have so much time. With less than great winters lately this just seems more appealing than being so weather dependent. Nothing worse than having to cancel a booked trip because of bad weather. Just not a factor with a sxs.

Never stop snowmobiling but we sure LOVE sxs in the UP. Very peaceful and no #*$&@ hats coming at you full tilt.

Never stop snowmobiling but we sure LOVE sxs in the UP. Very peaceful and no #*$&@ hats coming at you full tilt.

Oh I’ll never give up snowmobiling Mr Sled. My true winter passion. I agree on the peaceful factor. There just wasn’t anybody out in the woods on a nice fall Saturday. I was shocked. Pulled into Grand Marais expecting a full house and again shocked. Nobody there which was great. We all know how this town is on a Saturday in the winter. Which is why I only snowmobile during the week. I’m just surprised at how this appears to be a much smaller market than snowmobiling. With the reasons I mentioned, especially riding 3 seasons, I would have thought it to be more popular. So why is that?

Oh I’ll never give up snowmobiling Mr Sled. My true winter passion. I agree on the peaceful factor. There just wasn’t anybody out in the woods on a nice fall Saturday. I was shocked. Pulled into Grand Marais expecting a full house and again shocked. Nobody there which was great. We all know how this town is on a Saturday in the winter. Which is why I only snowmobile during the week. I’m just surprised at how this appears to be a much smaller market than snowmobiling. With the reasons I mentioned, especially riding 3 seasons, I would have thought it to be more popular. So why is that?

It is very popular but most dont have to travel to ride thier ATV/UTV so they ride in there own states. Therefor the masses are not pounding the only area that has snow or in our case no snow..LOL.

It is very popular but most dont have to travel to ride thier ATV/UTV so they ride in there own states. Therefor the masses are not pounding the only area that has snow or in our case no snow..LOL.

Sure that makes sense. It just didn’t seem as popular when I looked at the forum. Very few posts in the ATV section. Appreciate the feedback and will probably buy a Wolverine this spring.

This website started out as a snowmobile site. It has slowly progressed into a wider range of machines, but the core people are still snowmobile people and not all of them ride in the summer. That’s why there is less activity in the ATV UTV area.

This website started out as a snowmobile site. It has slowly progressed into a wider range of machines, but the core people are still snowmobile people and not all of them ride in the summer. That’s why there is less activity in the ATV UTV area.

Yes i was one of those people who didn’t pay attention to the ATV area because I had no interest. I will be paying attention now. That’s why this is the greatest Yamaha forum ever.

SxS May through October, and snowmobile December into April! SxS riding can be just as much of an adrenaline rush. Depends on where and what your riding. On average, we ride 125 miles a trip and do include food in the mix.

Back