• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Symptoms of a worn out primary clutch ?

Mark Bow

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha RS Vector GT ,1994 Yamaha V Max 600
First ride of the season and my 09 Vector with 13,000 km will only go 75 km/hr. The engine runs fine,starts fine just has no grunt or top end. The throttle is 1/3 open pressing it anymore just does nothing .Does this sound like a clutch problem ? Thanks.

Have you cleaned the carbs??
The carbs were cleaned over the summer. No adjustment were made other than setting the pilot jets back to spec . Two turns out. I was wondering if that was correct . The service manual says two turns out.

Maybe a broken or bad spring in the clutches.
I put it on a stand and the clutches seem to work fine but that's not under load. Cleaned and lubed the clutches with silicone lube and let it dry. Still the same when I test drove it . Hmmm ??

You don't want silicone anywhere near your clutches, if sprayed on it would get on clutch faces from overspray and then would have belt slip, need to clean clutch faces then scotchbrite them and try new belt, if you put it on rollers or face of weights they need to be cleaned also so they grip and roll not slide.

throw some new springs in the clutches and get all that lube out of there. odds are that will fix your problem. clutches are supposed to be dry and usually get cleaned with brake cleaner and blown out with compressed air.

Problem solved it was the carbs , needed adjustments. Thanks for the advice.

Back