• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Synthetic gear lube 75W90

Firstyama

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Viper LTX LE
i know this has been beat to death on here, but there’s so many opinions I keep 2nd guessing myself. Gonna change the chain case oil in my 17 Viper, tried to buy the Yamaha Synthetic Chaincase Lube, can’t find it online and local dealer doesn’t have it. I have a new jug of Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube 75W90, will that work or will it get too thick in the cold? I don’t wanna screw anything up. Or should I just use regular Yamaha chaincase oil?

I would stick with Yamaha chain case lube or for that matter any of the oem sled makers lube. It is made for the temps and conditions of the chain case. I have used amsoil chain case lube for years in all makes of sleds with excellent results. Have never wore a chain and gears out and stays very clean internally. Have also left in sleds for two seasons and the oil still looked great and never an issue. Will be using in my new viper as I know I could let it go two seasons if I had to as it is a pain in the as*^ to change on the viper. My apex sleds had 10,s of thousands of miles never a chain case issue just changed and kept chain adjusted correctly. Again any oem oil is good also .Cant believe your dealer does not have it on hand for you, they should have tons of that stuff this time of year!

Ok thanks. Just sucks that there’s no dealers real close and the closest one doesn’t carry synthetic.

aftermarket oil is fine as long as it meets or exceeds yamahas spec for the machine.

I run the mobil 1 in my 16 Viper chain case with no problems.

Amsoil is good , I have put gear oil in my viper and took it out , reason for taking it out is as the temp comes up in chain case you could smell the gear oil and didn’t like that , but gear oil will work good to .

Amsoil is good , I have put gear oil in my viper and took it out , reason for taking it out is as the temp comes up in chain case you could smell the gear oil and didn’t like that , but gear oil will work good to .
The amsoil mention is "gear oil"and a specific weight for the application.When you say gear oil I can only imagine what someone may throw in there.

I've been running Mobil synthetic gear lube for years in the Yamaha's chain case and in the Viper chassis chain case. I've never seen any abnormal wear after running it. There's nothing that special about Yamalube so don't overthink this.

That’s exactly what I’m doing, overthinking! Thanks everyone for your responses!

Back