• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Synthetic Oils

Bigblue1

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder RTX-LE
Apex SE
I have always used the Yamaha Brand oil when changing the oil on my machines. However, i don't think twice about using Mobil 1, or Castrol Syntec, Royal Purple.... on my cars. Would this be appropriate for my sleds? Any advantages?

as mighty stated. the only reason that i run synthetic oil in everything is due to how well it flows to the top end of the motor during cold start. i dont run the long drain intevals like they say you can. all i know is the engine oil pressure gauge gos up much faster when its cold with the synthetic oil in my truck and cars. I am sure it does the same thing in the sled too. In the long run may or may not be a big deal but when im 100 miles from cell phone service on the sled its good to know that the oil is top of the line. fwiw

Mobil 1 0-40 here. ;)!

Ran it in my '06 Nytro for 3,xxx miles & running it in my '08 Nytro with no issues.

Neighbor is using Mobil 1 0-40 in his Apex GT, and another riding buddy is using it in his Phazer FX too.

Amsoil 0w-40 is specially designed for the higher rpm's your motor will put out. Mobil 1 is designed for use in your vehicle wich runs much lower RPM's. your vehicle does not abuse the oil as quickly running average rpm's of 1500-2300. your sled is running 7000 and above. you need an oil specially designed for that application. Contact your local Amsoil dealer and he can help you out!

Mobil 1 0-40 & 20/50 weights are designed for high RPM applications, as well as turbocharged high heat applications.

Oil topic threads are so sickening. Everyone thinks they are using the best oil on the market & the next guy is wrecking his engine because he's not using brand "X".

Oils today are so advanced that unless someone is a complete dumba$$ and never changes it or the filter in the lifetime of the engine, no oil is gonna fail. And then, if neglet is the case, even the best oils WILL fail.

theCATman said:
Oil topic threads are so sickening. Everyone thinks they are using the best oil on the market & the next guy is wrecking his engine because he's not using brand "X".

Oils today are so advanced that unless someone is a complete dumba$$ and never changes it or the filter in the lifetime of the engine, no oil is gonna fail. And then, if neglet is the case, even the best oils WILL fail.
I Agree......

This is what I'm thinking about using...They reccomend API service SG type or higher, JASO standard MA

SAE 0W–30:
Castrol SYNTEC 0W–30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W–30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low–temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to –40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL–01; GM–LLA–025, GM–LL–B–025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF–3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Interesting read...http://autospeed.com/cms/A_111353/article.html

Thanks guys got sidetracked for day. Alatalo brings up the very reason I asked the question. Why would energy conserving be a bad thing?

Bigblue1 said:
Alatalo brings up the very reason I asked the question. Why would energy conserving be a bad thing?

From what I have been told by one of the Yamaha engineers, this is basically because of additives that makes the oil "too slippery" for the starter clutch (and the gearbox clutch in streetbike engines). Though, I do not know if it makes any real world difference for the type of starter clutch used in the Nytro engine.

eskimonytroxtx said:
can u use snowmobile oil on a atv for winter use?

My brother runs amsoil 0w40 in his sled and ATV.

Back