• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tapered Lug Tracks and Stud Height

ktmhk53

Suspended
Hi guys,
With the new trend in some tracks having a higher lug height in the center (for loose snow hook-up) and a lower lug height on the sides (for decreased resistance when cornering), would it seem reasonable to vary stud height in those areas accordingly?
Rhetorically, why would you run just the same 1.625" stud in a track with a 1.5" center lug and a 1" - 1.25" outer lug, as this would seem counter-intuitive to having the lugs at different height, and here, make cornering more difficult?

I welcome your thoughts.

P.S. Right or Wrong, I've always studded my outer lugs...

Last edited:

I don't stud out side lugs.......

Not sure on the storm tracks but I studded my 1.25”with 1.5” down the middle and 1.375” on the outsides. But I skipped every other window on the outside.

I have 1.5” across board on my 1.25. Every other outsider. I would do the same with the storm if I had it as the center lugs are what’s holding it up but it wouldn’t be horriable to stagger height. But if wanting performance on ice then I would stay same all the way

Hi guys,
With the new trend in some tracks having a higher lug height in the center (for loose snow hook-up) and a lower lug height on the sides (for decreased resistance when cornering), would it seem reasonable to vary stud height in those areas accordingly?
Rhetorically, why would you run just the same 1.625" stud in a track with a 1.5" center lug and a 1" - 1.25" outer lug, as this would seem counter-intuitive to having the lugs at different height, and here, make cornering more difficult?

I welcome your thoughts.

P.S. Right or Wrong, I've always studded my outer lugs...
You need to stud the outer lugs if you want to turn under power stud as close to the rails as possible since thats where most of your traction is and avoid the center of the track no traction there, if you only stud the center it will pull the skis off the ground and you have to let off to corner

The critical factor is how high above the growser bar the stud is. Decide how much you want and stud accordingly. I.e. if the outer bars are shorter, then use a shorter stud out there.

Back