• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tech Tip...Determining if driveshaft has spun

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
I get a lot of people that ask me what the easiest method is to determine if the drive shaft has been spinning so I wanted to share my findings. I find that removing the brake rotor and inspecting the backside of the hub is the quickest way to determine if you have an issue. If the shaft has spun, the face of the hub that seats against the bearing inner race will have lips worn on it. If you drag your fingernail across the face and it catches 2 lips/burrs then the shaft has spun. The bigger the lip, the more wear the shaft likely has. Below are some pictures. First picture is a perfect face. Second has slight lip, and the 3rd was removed from a sled with .015 of wear on the shaft.

rotor 1.jpg

rotor 2.jpg
rotor 3.jpg

I get a lot of people that ask me what the easiest method is to determine if the drive shaft has been spinning so I wanted to share my findings. I find that removing the brake rotor and inspecting the backside of the hub is the quickest way to determine if you have an issue. If the shaft has spun, the face of the hub that seats against the bearing inner race will have lips worn on it. If you drag your fingernail across the face and it catches 2 lips/burrs then the shaft has spun. The bigger the lip, the more wear the shaft likely has. Below are some pictures. First picture is a perfect face. Second has slight lip, and the 3rd was removed from a sled with .015 of wear on the shaft.

View attachment 162634
View attachment 162633View attachment 162632

And usually when it gets grooved enough its a real bear to pull off.

Interesting i just pulled my drive shaft out tonight and its wasted, How does the drive shaft bearing come out? take the c clip out and beat it out with a hammer? i would like to bring it to the dealer tomorrow to hopefully get it warranted.

After splitting the caliper and removing the disc, undo the 3 bolts that hold the caliper assembly to the tunnel (from inside the tunnel). Slide assembly off shaft that contains the bearing.
Press the bearing out in a shop press.
MS

There is a metal clip that holds the bearing in the brake housing. It’s not a cir clip but a thin layered clip. I call it a slinky clip. Not sure what they call them.

After splitting the caliper and removing the disc, undo the 3 bolts that hold the caliper assembly to the tunnel (from inside the tunnel). Slide assembly off shaft that contains the bearing.
Press the bearing out in a shop press.
MS
No need to split the caliper

No need to split the caliper
I agree it can be done without splitting. I find it a lot easier to split. Getting the bearing out and putting back in is a lot easier with brake line disconnect. At that point why not split it? You have to bleed the brake. Easier getting rotor back on with brake split. I have done it both ways. Two ways to skin a Yamacat.

I agree it can be done without splitting. I find it a lot easier to split. Getting the bearing out and putting back in is a lot easier with brake line disconnect. At that point why not split it? You have to bleed the brake. Easier getting rotor back on with brake split. I have done it both ways. Two ways to skin a Yamacat.
Plus, new brake fluid done at same time!

ill probably just un hook the break line and take it to my friends shop to press the bearing out, My driveshaft is trashed i had a small vibration last year and i had already done the top gear in the case that always wears out so i wasn't sure what it was looks like i found it

you dont really need a press. A block of wood or a large seal driver and hammer will take it right out.

ill probably just un hook the break line and take it to my friends shop to press the bearing out, My driveshaft is trashed i had a small vibration last year and i had already done the top gear in the case that always wears out so i wasn't sure what it was looks like i found

Back