• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Temperature Gauge-recommended

02ViperMody44

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
2013 Yamaha XTX
YAHOO
ramody44@yahoo.com
I just picked up my '12 Apex. I see that it doesn't have a temp gauge, would most of you recommend installing one or really not necessary. Just looking for opinons. I do run studs so I guess that if one were to be thrown and damaging a heat exchanger it would be worth the engine savings. I am looking at the Prosport digital gauge, just not a very convenient place to mount on the dash.

There have been a number of times a punctured heat exchanger and loss of coolant have resulted in damage severe enough that only a few parts of the engine were still good to use. It is highly recommended to put the gauge on.

I rode for a couple of years without a gage and hated it. I like to know what's going on before there is a problem and in poor snow conditions I'm looking at it all the time. I prefer the dial type to digital just because you get used to seeing the needle at a certain position and don't have to read the numbers. I just bought a hose kit from Royal Distributing and a cheap automotive gage with backlight and it works great.

Remember to put the sender in the short hose above the cylinder head before the thermostat.

I think the light will give ample time before over heat occurs as far as engine damage goes. My light has come on (old attak) and I just pulled over and throw snow on the running boards and light goes off very quickly and fan soon follows. I think its a 20* fudge factor.

I like running one. Its good to know if its time to dip off the trail and get into some powder to cool things down some.

My analog setup came in at right around $55

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

182027-original.jpg

I just put on a prosport digital. I mounted it flat right above the speedo..i can only see it when i stand, but i really never sit anyways.

The light won't come on if the coolant is gone. With a gauge you may notice a low indication.

Thanks for all the fast replies and reasons. Yeah I just went ahead and ordered one! Got the sled apart for a Sledstart/HIDs anyways, so I might as wait till everything comes in before reassembly.

Yes, if you put it on the vertical hose which is easy to reach it will only read properly when the thermostat is closed as most of the coolant will bypass that hose after the engine is warmed up.

Hmm, mine is rigged up on that down tube though and it comes on at 223 when the temp light comes on (not often btw), and it is very sensitive to snow condition changes, including me dragging my feet if the snow level gets low. Wouldnt this reaction from the guage suggest that the thermostat is indeed fully open during operation?

Also, im not arguing, just curious because I was going to put my sensor in the top tube, but couldnt find a good adaptor.

Back to the thread, yes, temp sensor is important, especially if a stud decides to become good friends with the front heat exchanger!

Here's the Princess Auto gage with Royal Distributing hose kit (22mm). I put it just below the thermostat because it's very close to the overheat sensor at the bottom of the thermostat housing.

Attachments

• Temp-gage.JPG
    Temp-gage.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Send-unit.JPG
    Send-unit.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 259

Back