• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

test rode a viper today

Took the cat version out today..very nice..felt very confident in the trails..much nicer than my apex..pretty quick..I'd miss the torque and top speed of the apex though..

2008 Nytro RTX said:
When you say Cats version you mean the ZR 7000 or just the procross?

Its my understanding the zr 7000 and viper are teh same sled. So are they the same retail price? what the better deal. Cats are usually historically been cheaper than a yamaha.

I took 2 dif versions out..the sno pro 7000 with the better shocks, no heated seat and the black one, big wind shield, heated seat. Sucks that all of them don't have heated seat as I preferred the orange sno pro 7000..seemed to handle better and looked sportier..liked the low windshield too..

Duey782 said:
shaddow44 said:
For the guys that are disappointed with the power...wait until the mods are out...the Nytro motor with a header, intake mods and proper fuel mapping will easily bring the power up to 150+
UMM.. how is it that people always sluff off having to modify their damned sled from new as just an accepted thing? ei: 'Well power is down and it darts like mad, but nothing $1000.00 in fueling / intake / exhaust and a set of custom skiis can't fix.' Why is this accepted? If the stock skiis are crap, why do they make them? If it's capable of 150 horse, why aren't they from the factory? Why should a guy have to spend thousands on aftermarket parts to make a sled good? This should not be accepted as an industry standard.

x2

Cats are cheaper & have $500 snocheck cash too!

But.... Do you want to take a chance on the Cat clutches & 1 year less warranty?

They are not the same sled, yamaha is using their own clutches, a big plus in my book. Also the incentive package is way better so far. We'll see what cat comes out with for snow check deals.

Apex_GT said:
I took 2 dif versions out..the sno pro 7000 with the better shocks, no heated seat and the black one, big wind shield, heated seat. Sucks that all of them don't have heated seat as I preferred the orange sno pro 7000..seemed to handle better and looked sportier..liked the low windshield too..

Curious did you check to see if the Cat version was actually running Cat clutches? Seems like there has been some debate on here about that. Second does it have the same grille opening in front like the Viper? Some thought it wouldn't, but since I assume it is using the same radiator for cooling it would.

Apex_GT said:

I was in the NB area as well.

The snopro 7000 was the fav by everyone in our group. They did have the grilles up front like the Yamaha Vipers coming. The LXRs with the coil springs etc seemed to have a loose and pushing type feel. none of the sleds were studded of course. I was told that they snopros we rode had dually type carbides added. The other sleds had staggered carbides? The Turbo sled was fun, but too bad they are a ticking time bomb.

yamajammer76 said:
Apex_GT said:

Curious did you check to see if the Cat version was actually running Cat clutches? Seems like there has been some debate on here about that. Second does it have the same grille opening in front like the Viper? Some thought it wouldn't, but since I assume it is using the same radiator for cooling it would.

Cat's website only shows Cat clutches on their 2014's.

I got to ride the Viper today at the Demo rides in Old Forge NY. I really was more interested in riding an Apex or Vector to see what it was like to have the EPS, but since we rotated sleds during the ride I got to ride the Viper. All I can say is WOW!!!!!! I was impressed. If I were to go out tomorrow ad plop down the dough on a new sled, I think it would be the Viper. Just soaks up the bumps and really light steering. I was not expecting this and was totally surprised as I was not at all interested in riding it.

You guys do know the Viper has 3 year warranty with option to buy two more years for a total of 5 years for $200 more?Seems like a no brainer to me which sled to buy AC vs Yamaha.

Back