• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Testing with TD GPS/Dragy

DMCTurbo

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder XTX LE 137
Figured I'd post up some of my results. I'm by no means a pro racer or radar runner or master clutch tuner for that matter, just enjoy trying to better my speeds.

This testing was with TD PT CAI tune 15 PSI average

Plowed track with 1-2 inches of fresh snow.

1.25 stock track with 192 dull megabites.
Suspension setup for trail riding.
Dalton Black/teal primary spring
Dalton DTYA1 weights
Dalton black/orange secondary spring @ 6-1.
Stock helix.
22/41 gearing.

210lb rider plus gear.

Clutches were nice and cool. Really impressed with the Dalton components.

RPMs 8950-9050

TD GPS
660' 101.8 mph
1000' 111.9 mph
1320' 117.1 mph
2000' 122.5 mph

I was hoping to run MAX 17 but found once I flashed the tune I could only pull 15.4 PSI of boost through my stock BOV. After speaking with SABER1100 and Mike from TD I reversed my BOV and was then able to see high 16s of boost.

I had half a tank of Shell 91 and half a tank of mobile 93 but seen knock right away so I aborted any runs. I was hoping to compare to my runs on PT CAI tune.

So I guess I need a turbosmart BOV if I want to run the upcoming MAX spool 16.

Cheers

Last edited:

Thanks DMCTurbo!

Very cool to see some results from a non affiliated member. Lol.
Like to know what stock would have been to compare.

Figured I'd post up some of my results. I'm by no means a pro racer or radar runner or master clutch tuner for that matter, just enjoy trying to better my speeds.

Dalton DTYA1 weights
Stock helix.
22/41 gearing.

210lb rider plus gear.

RPMs 8950-9050

TD GPS
660' 101.8 mph
1000' 111.9 mph
1320' 117.1 mph
2000' 122.5 mph

I was hoping to run MAX 17 but found once I flashed the tune I could only pull 15.4 PSI of boost through my stock BOV. After speaking with SABER1100 and Mike from TD I reversed my BOV and was then able to see high 16s of boost.

I had half a tank of Shell 91 and half a tank of mobile 93 but seen knock right away so I aborted any runs. I was hoping to compare to my runs on PT CAI tune.

Cheers
What do you have the DTAY-1's set at? I had some interesting results yesterday testing.

Dalton DTYA1 weights
Stock helix.
22/41 gearing.

210lb rider plus gear.

RPMs 8950-9050

TD GPS
660' 101.8 mph
1000' 111.9 mph
1320' 117.1 mph
2000' 122.5 mph

Cheers
Nice work brother,so all good on normal PT,if we already have free flow 3" muffler and CAI for bens new 16.5 quick spool flash we should be good with stock BOV ,at least that was what I think Ben said about them,and all on 91 octane to.

Love my DTYA1s too...what do you have them set at?

I've tried mine all over with 270map and 240 map(from empty 74.8g to 81g)....and have found my fave overall for trails to be around 77.5 grams, as this allow the 270map to rev around 9100(16.8psi avg boost) and the 240 map to rev around 8750(14.6psi avg boost)

The 270 map set this way, allows for MAXIMUM snappy fun on trails, just makes you giggle every time you snap the front end off a knoll with authority and then let off to the flutter sound hearing the Turbosmart BOV thru the CAI....my god its addicting, and as my riding bud who tried it for first time says, that sidewinder at 270 is just plain "MENTAL!!!"....haha

I tossed in half bottle of lucas booster into a 1/2 tank of 91 fuel and can hold it for 3000ft then. Before that could only hold it 1500 or so before light flickers. LOG shows 2 degrees timing pulled.

Dan

Love my DTYA1s too...what do you have them set at?

I've tried mine all over with 270map and 240 map(from empty 74.8g to 81g)....and have found my fave overall for trails to be around 77.5 grams, as this allow the 270map to rev around 9100(16.8psi avg boost) and the 240 map to rev around 8750(14.6psi avg boost)

The 270 map set this way, allows for MAXIMUM snappy fun on trails, just makes you giggle every time you snap the front end off a knoll with authority and then let off to the flutter sound hearing the Turbosmart BOV thru the CAI....my god its addicting, and as my riding bud who tried it for first time says, that sidewinder at 270 is just plain "MENTAL!!!"....haha

I tossed in half bottle of lucas booster into a 1/2 tank of 91 fuel and can hold it for 3000ft then. Before that could only hold it 1500 or so before light flickers. LOG shows 2 degrees timing pulled.

Dan
I have the 3/8s slug in, 1.3g.

Nice work brother,so all good on normal PT,if we already have free flow 3" muffler and CAI for bens new 16.5 quick spool flash we should be good with stock BOV ,at least that was what I think Ben said about them,and all on 91 octane to.

Personally I'd recommend the TS BOV once you pass about 15 psi....many stock BOV leak...at various different levels of boost....whats another $150US in the grand scheme of things lol

Personally I'd recommend the TS BOV once you pass about 15 psi....many stock BOV leak...at various different levels of boost....whats another $150US in the grand scheme of things lol
Well I agree but my wife sure does not lol now that I am retired money is an object of discussion at our dinner table,more than it ever did before. But don't we also need the 3 bar along with the TS bov?

Dalton DTYA1 weights
Stock helix.
22/41 gearing.

210lb rider plus gear.

RPMs 8950-9050

TD GPS
660' 101.8 mph
1000' 111.9 mph
1320' 117.1 mph
2000' 122.5 mph

Cheers
Nice real world results with a TRAIL sled.

In the next few days I have some more testing planned.

I have a 35/39 dalton reverse angle to test (I ran this last year).
I have a dalton 41/35 that should be here tomorrow morning.
I have the full ulmer stage 2 kit I will test also.
If I'm really up to it I may throw the stock 21 tooth back in to see if I get up to speed quicker.

r u playing with the 39/35 helix ? if so ,whats your thoughts ?
Yes I have alot of test time on the 39/35 now. It obviously needs the early spool tune. I find it works well with 270r map but I would not run this steep of helix with any less HP or any NON early spool tune. With the 240 map it is not nearly as fun.

I can see why YAM ended up with 35 straight in combo with a 55/105 primary spring. This stock combo shift slower to keep rpms up thru the shift, and allows them to not rise too high on top end with the Light finish rate of primary spring. In testing I love the stock primary rates best. What I dont like it the Overall length at over 110mm, it does weird things when compressed in a press....Glide washers help some but Im looking for a similar rate spring that is shorter. Dale has one that is close but still higher on finish.

This is why guys have tried to use reverse angle helix to slow the upshift, and then allow top rpm to remain in check. Im not a fan of the reverse angle though as it slows forward progress IMO. So the straight sorta gets you in between.

Does anyone know who else sells aftermarket YAM springs? On the YAM chart Im looking at a blue/green/blue(40/106) which would be good finish but less start then what id prefer.....But a few shim washers may get me there with it. Or there is a YAM Blue/brown/blue (50/116) that would be another one id like to test with.

Id prefer Dalton or other USA made springs as we had seen some YAM spring brake, and not sure of they are china junk or what.

Dan

Back