• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Testing with TD GPS/Dragy

Had some fun on the lake today.

22/41 gearing
stock 1.25 track with 192 megabites
Dalton DTYA1s
Ulmer pink primary spring
41/35 Dalton helix
Dalton black orange at 3-3

Pretty much spent the day dialing in the weight for TD Max 17. I had a hard time hooking up as the track was glare ice.
Ran 123.3 in 1320'
129.2 in 2000'
131.4 in 2300' roughly
GPS speeds.

I made a good 15 passes, I could hold my hands on the clutches at any time. My offset is 60.65mm.

Time to gear up and go to a 1" fully clipped track with better studs for next year.
DMC, I am curious as to how accurate the stock speedo is compared to the GPS. I've seen 126 mph on my 18 XTX, but question the accuracy.
Great info....thanks!

DMC, I am curious as to how accurate the stock speedo is compared to the GPS. I've seen 126 mph on my 18 XTX, but question the accuracy.
Great info....thanks!
Sorry I never pay attention to the speedo... Too many other things to try and pay attention too!

Nice testing and thanks for sharing... What exhaust? And assuming 8jp... Can you post a pic of Ulmer pink? Sounds similar to thunder orange primary?

TD super quiet, 8JP belt. The ulmer pink is short, apparently it's a 30/90, but I'm not sure if it's measured the same way Dalton does.
image.jpeg

Ulmer pink next to the stock spring.

I would try one of these with more weight in the weights. That pink spring is too short. Engages too soon for good trail performance with that helix and the small primary rollers in the drive clutch. Just my opinion. I tried some lesser pretension Yamaha springs which lacked low end zip.

Dalton Black/Silver DPPS-B/S 41 kg 125 kg
Dalton Black/Red DPPS-B/R 48 kg 120 kg
Dalton Black/Blue DPPS-B/BL 53 kg 133 kg

I would try one of these with more weight in the weights. That pink spring is too short. Engages too soon for good trail performance with that helix and the small primary rollers in the drive clutch. Just my opinion. I tried some lesser pretension Yamaha springs which lacked low end zip.

Dalton Black/Silver DPPS-B/S 41 kg 125 kg
Dalton Black/Red DPPS-B/R 48 kg 120 kg
Dalton Black/Blue DPPS-B/BL 53 kg 133 kg
I have tried the dalton black/teal and I prefer the ulmer pink. Engagement is 3200 and like I said I believe it to be stiffer than the 30/90 ulmer told me it was. I honestly didn't notice much difference performance wise between the springs other than the ulmer pink is way easier to install.

Great series of posts. Good info and everyone stays on topic. A real pleasure!! Btw. I have been running the 41/35 for a month with Dalton DTY-1 @ 77.6, black/org@ 6/1. Black/blue primary
That is now what I am running,dales blk/blu primary w/glides,on stm at 77 gram,and stm 42/36 w/TP orange spring at 3-2 for 50 degrees,shifts to 9100-and holds 9100-9200 EVO-4 sandal 3 inch and CAI offset 59 from hurricane new gauge,runs warm to touch,can hold onto but not for long,still feels like slipping belt in mid shift. So will try Dalton ramps and 41/35 helix,i have dales secondary blk/org I can run so I will have all Dalton products to try.

I have tried a few different helixes including some reverse angle helixes. I keep resorting back to the stock straight 35. I recently just tried a 41/37 and pulled it off 50km into trip, lol. Noticed it robbed most of bottom end snap and being an aggressive trail rider, I didn't like that at all. Max 17 tune, Dalton DTYA 1, GN/BLK primary, cat Red/White secondary .

I have tried a few different helixes including some reverse angle helixes. I keep resorting back to the stock straight 35. I recently just tried a 41/37 and pulled it off 50km into trip, lol. Noticed it robbed most of bottom end snap and being an aggressive trail rider, I didn't like that at all. Max 17 tune, Dalton DTYA 1, GN/BLK primary, cat Red/White secondary .
X2

What works for me may not work for everyone. I'm just posting my results for those that may be interested. I'm quicker from A-B with the 41/35. Proved it with my TD GPS numerous times. Sometimes the snappy hi-reving feel doesn't propel you forward as much as an engine working harder. Just my 2 cents.

Great info....thanks!
I checked my speedo against my gps. The dash showed 124 mph and my gps showed 120.

What works for me may not work for everyone. I'm just posting my results for those that may be interested. I'm quicker from A-B with the 41/35. Proved it with my TD GPS numerous times. Sometimes the snappy hi-reving feel doesn't propel you forward as much as an engine working harder. Just my 2 cents.

Yes I do agree there will be better top end on the 41/37 or 41/35 helixes, but corner to corner fun I felt the stock helix was much more responsive. But like you said, all set ups are slightly different.

Yes I do agree there will be better top end on the 41/37 or 41/35 helixes, but corner to corner fun I felt the stock helix was much more responsive. But like you said, all set ups are slightly different.
Need more weight and spring tension with the steep angle and I feel like it makes for more track spin, but when it hooks hang on!

I'm currently running Ulmers stage 2 with TD powertrail flash Super quiet exhaust and cold air intake I've never used dalton weights but from all that reports I've seen they work very well especially in flashed sleds. I have a blk/blue dalton primary spring and blk/org secondary spring I also have a 42/36 helix and red secondary spring along with a 33/35 helix. All I need is weights what weights do I need since if I remember correctly there's 3 options? Where's the best place to buy them in the US? Thanks and it's great to see some great results. Winter in Maine is hanging on couple weeks ago I thought it was about over not the case had some of the best riding this weekend around the ft Kent area hoping to make at least 2 or 3 more trips. Ride safe everyone

I'm currently running Ulmers stage 2 with TD powertrail flash Super quiet exhaust and cold air intake I've never used dalton weights but from all that reports I've seen they work very well especially in flashed sleds. I have a blk/blue dalton primary spring and blk/org secondary spring I also have a 42/36 helix and red secondary spring along with a 33/35 helix. All I need is weights what weights do I need since if I remember correctly there's 3 options? Where's the best place to buy them in the US? Thanks and it's great to see some great results. Winter in Maine is hanging on couple weeks ago I thought it was about over not the case had some of the best riding this weekend around the ft Kent area hoping to make at least 2 or 3 more trips. Ride safe everyone
I thought you were running the STM ramps,that come with stage 2 kit? If you want Dalton ramps just go on his site,and call him,or e-mail him and he will set you up. Or do mean between the different types for power levels,QAY or DTYA heavier base ramp for higher hp tunes.

Back