• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Hurricane needle bearing top gear for the sidewinder/thunder!!

That looks awfully alot like a Mori seiki mill..... You are milling a gear and pressing in the bearing? Cool!

Last edited:
This topic has been brought up on TY before. Some creative pioneers created this product years ago. I think the primary topic of concern was with regards to life of the jackshaft where the needle bearing runs. Does the needle bearing (which is a pretty hard metal (52100 chrome steel)) begin to wear a groove in the shaft (lesser hardness than the needle bearing) after miles and miles of running? So does the needle bearing gear last "forever" but now the shaft needs replacing after "X" number of miles?

Two seasons ago I installed a new bushing from Canadian Bearing and had to fit it to the shaft and it still looks good. This time during the annual service I also put in 10ml of Rislone ZDDP additive used for flat tappet engines. The zinc should be helping against wear.

I've been running the needle bearing for two seasons on my turbo Viper 240 hp. Took my chaincase apart to change my track. Shaft and gear look great. 4000 miles on the shaft and gear.

Back