• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking about..........jumping ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnusr01

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 MXZ-XRS 850
Maybe its the moon cycle or something but I am thinking about ordering a new spring order doo. The fit-finish and accessories are so much better. Plus buy it dont f*ck with everything and go. Thoughts? If there is a new chassy from Yamacat something fresh I would entertain that too.

Thanks

Maybe its the moon cycle or something but I am thinking about ordering a new spring order doo. The fit-finish and accessories are so much better. Plus buy it dont f*ck with everything and go. Thoughts? If there is a new chassy from Yamacat something fresh I would entertain that too.

Thanks
Most of the mods you have done are to make your sled much faster. No Doo in stock form is as fast as a stock Winder so I'm not sure what your point is.

The fit and finish, attention to detail, accessories are so much better. They look and feel much more modern. Where I ride in northern VT there is a doo dealer local also in the event of needing something where as no yamaha or cat dealer around.

No shame in owning a Doo. They have the best fit and finish in the business along with the best accessories. Walt's is an amazing dealership. I really like the ergo's on the G4 Ski-Doo. My buddy has an 900T XRS and he can't stop talking about how awesome it handles and rides.

The Sidewinder will always be faster. But in VT, how much power do you need? There is a friggen corner every 70 yards.

Most of the mods you have done are to make your sled much faster. No Doo in stock form is as fast as a stock Winder so I'm not sure what your point is.
Sounded crystal clear to me.
I was in the market for a winder after owning a viper.
Rode a doo 850 all day sat and a doo 900 t. ace all day sun.
Just made an offer on the ace.
Far superior chassis and machine than the viper with the option to turn up the wick.
Sidewinder has mote power, and far more problems in my opinion

Sounded crystal clear to me.
I was in the market for a winder after owning a viper.
Rode a doo 850 all day sat and a doo 900 t. ace all day sun.
Just made an offer on the ace.
Far superior chassis and machine than the viper with the option to turn up the wick.
Sidewinder has mote power, and far more problems in my opinion
It's the comment 'don't have to f#ck with everything and go'.

Reactions: RTX
Doo does have very good accessories, no argument there.

The quality and engineering surrounding the Doo is far superior to the Cat from the factory, there is no doubt there. I finally have my Winder where I want it, but must admit I'm growing tired and old of it also. I don't feel as though I like it as I loved my 1200's. Those 1200's always brought me home laughing in my helmet, the Winder doesn't and never has really. Theres always that nagging thought that something on this thing is going to leave me stranded, I don't feel comfortable riding it alone, something I NEVER worried about on my 1200's.

My issue with Doo is that POS 900t engine. Its weak and wimpy for jacking some boost in it. And honestly, a good 1200 with simple mods will outrun a stock 900t. They have to do something different there. They too have had their issues if you read about them. Actually they are real slow for what they ought to be. Top end they are really lacking. Even the tuned ones are dogs up top. Not much excitement over the 900t like there was for so many years on the 1200 forum. Not much excitement at all!

I'd go find me a good used 1200 and away you go, but don't expect the handling we are getting from the Cat chassis, but nothing out there better than an old 1200 for reliability! I'd go back to 1200 in a heartbeat, best four-stroke I ever owned. They can be made to run wether NA or turboed. Apex is also a great engine, but the chassis is severely lacking.

To be honest, there isn't any new iron I'd put my money on right now. I wouldn't by another Winder and don't want a 900t, and now way I'm going back to a two-stroke. The one I want is a 1200, so that only leaves a used purchase. I do have my Winder where I want it finally, and it wasn't easy or cheap getting it there, but would just like to feel confident in it, maybe I'll just keep it another season.

Last edited:
Just run stock leave alone, a sidewinder is fine, add HP and #*$&@ happens, if your gonna buy a skidoo every two years you’ll be ok, my friends ride 800s and some of them have had crank problems, motors not great,you’ll be fine until warranty runs out, they do have nice accessory’s but you can put on winder, Good luck oh and stop reading on line.

Agree about the doo's except lately its getting rediculous on all the options they ram up your #*$&@. Led lights should be std. Rip2 track should be std. Foot/side holds. Wind deflectors. Deeper ski carbides. All items that really add to the cost of the sled that has brp ripping customers off in a big way.

I had the chance to ride a 2018 ProS this weekend and all I can say is wow! This thing handles on rails, and is Soooo much lighter than these viper/winder tanks. The bumps were nonexistent. The Only reason I’m still running this cat/yamaha chassis is the power levels.
Reliability seems good but I don’t know much about them.
All you naysayers ride one, then tell me I’m wrong.
Put a turbo on it and I would have one on order tomorrow!

The quality and engineering surrounding the Doo is far superior to the Cat from the factory, there is no doubt there. I finally have my Winder where I want it, but must admit I'm growing tired and old of it also. I don't feel as though I like it as I loved my 1200's. Those 1200's always brought me home laughing in my helmet, the Winder doesn't and never has really. Theres always that nagging thought that something on this thing is going to leave me stranded, I don't feel comfortable riding it alone, something I NEVER worried about on my 1200's.

My issue with Doo is that POS 900t engine. Its weak and wimpy for jacking some boost in it. And honestly, a good 1200 with simple mods will outrun a stock 900t. They have to do something different there. They too have had their issues if you read about them. Actually they are real slow for what they ought to be. Top end they are really lacking. Even the tuned ones are dogs up top. Not much excitement over the 900t like there was for so many years on the 1200 forum. Not much excitement at all!

I'd go find me a good used 1200 and away you go, but don't expect the handling we are getting from the Cat chassis, but nothing out there better than an old 1200 for reliability! I'd go back to 1200 in a heartbeat, best four-stroke I ever owned. They can be made to run wether NA or turboed. Apex is also a great engine, but the chassis is severely lacking.

To be honest, there isn't any new iron I'd put my money on right now. I wouldn't by another Winder and don't want a 900t, and now way I'm going back to a two-stroke. The one I want is a 1200, so that only leaves a used purchase. I do have my Winder where I want it finally, and it wasn't easy or cheap getting it there, but would just like to feel confident in it, maybe I'll just keep it another season.

Agree.,

Just run stock leave alone, a sidewinder is fine, add HP and #*$&@ happens, if your gonna buy a skidoo every two years you’ll be ok, my friends ride 800s and some of them have had crank problems, motors not great,you’ll be fine until warranty runs out, they do have nice accessory’s but you can put on winder, Good luck oh and stop reading on line.

Disagree, The chaincase (tensioner roller) on the Winder needs attention. The shaft and bearing on the brake side needs attention. The cheap pot metal track adjusters need attention. I could go on and on. Every bit of the Cat, that is Cat, needs modified or re-engineered to last any length of time. Stock or modified, makes no difference. Its an engineering nightmare and an SNAFU on Cats part! And it's uncalled for to be going on for so many years without change. Cat will go under if they don't fix it and fix it fast.

Yeah, we shot ourselves in the foot with this power level especially when tuned on these Winders because the thought of any other manufacturers sled is un-appealing when looking at power lol.

Better handling I can see that for sure, but not the same power level.

Maybe we'll see something crazy come out for 2020 models.

I had the chance to ride a 2018 ProS this weekend and all I can say is wow! This thing handles on rails, and is Soooo much lighter than these viper/winder tanks. The bumps were nonexistent. The Only reason I’m still running this cat/yamaha chassis is the power levels.
Reliability seems good but I don’t know much about them.
All you naysayers ride one, then tell me I’m wrong.
Put a turbo on it and I would have one on order tomorrow!

I have the 2019 Indy 850, and have been thinking about adding a srx to the lineup. The axys chassis is pretty awesome and I am concerned I’d be taking a step back going to the Yamaha. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back