• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking of getting a Phazer

schroon

Pro
Website
www.pacific-custom.com
I have an Apex now, I’m getting older and it is getting harder on me to use the Apex in windy trails. I want to stay with a Yamaha and preferably a 4 stroke. Rode a friends Phazer around his yard, and found it easier to handle. What’s the good or bad with this sled and are there any major problems to look for if I bought a used one. Thanks

Stay 08 and up, most of the updates are done by then. I own an 08 phazer rtx extended to 136", an 03 rx1 mountain, 04 rev 500ss, and an 05 Polaris. The Phazer is my favorite ride if I'm going to be trail riding. We did have the shocks all revalved.

The 07s had a bunch of updates needed. The only thing our 08 needed was the grounding block update.

Its a love it or hate it thing, It all depends on how you ride. It does take some body english to get the most out of it but that's my style. Ive found that most people who ride motorcycles or atv's love the Phazer because of the similarities in how you ride them. People that only ride sleds don't seem to care for it as much.

Sm Phazer boards.jpg
08's will also need the tunnel closed off unless you're okay chopping ice out of the footwells on powdery days

The tunnel close out panel helps, but even on my 09' that came form the factory with the rear of the tunnel closed off, ice build was an issue. Once I added Mountaintech boards ice build up has been no longer an issue. G.B.

I have an Apex now, I’m getting older and it is getting harder on me to use the Apex in windy trails. I want to stay with a Yamaha and preferably a 4 stroke. Rode a friends Phazer around his yard, and found it easier to handle. What’s the good or bad with this sled and are there any major problems to look for if I bought a used one. Thanks
If you search on here you will find lots of threads on people asking questions about going to a Phazer. I was like you and wanted something lighter than my 07' Rage GT that I could throw around. The number one thing to consider with the Phazer is that you have to do a track swap. The Phazer IMO is terrible with the stock 121 x 1.0" track. The sled doesn't hook up and you spin the track all the time and in slushy snow conditions the track cant clear snow from the forward heat exchanger and it builds ice that causes the temp light to come with a chance for the sled to overheat. So at the very least you need to go to a 121 x 1.5 Camoplast Freeride track or stretch the sled with any track with 1.25" lug height or taller. I went with a 144 x 1.25 track with tipped up rail extensions and it made a huge difference with performance of the Phazer. Keep in mind that the Phazer is one of easiest sleds out there to do a track swap so dont let that intimidate you. G.B.

Thanks for all the help. I want something easy to throw around, my Apex is just too heavy and I'm too old. Will use that on long rides and open trails. If you go to a longer track, what do you have to do to the suspension?

i just converted mine to an xtx with a new stock 144 xtx track and mtx rails. all i had to add to the used rails i found was one axle of wheels at the rear as i did not have the stock xtx/mtx axle and wheel set-up. then you need a mtx/xtx bumper unless you extend yours the 12" it needs and add the chunk of aluminum to move the flap back with the bumper. i did have to go to 8 tooth drivers as i found it to hard to assemble with the stock 9 tooth. i might have to re-gear but that is later as i had rtx witch is already geared lower than an xtx with the same drivers. hope to get the back end together tonight. damn back ordered parts.

If you search on here you will find lots of threads on people asking questions about going to a Phazer. I was like you and wanted something lighter than my 07' Rage GT that I could throw around. The number one thing to consider with the Phazer is that you have to do a track swap. The Phazer IMO is terrible with the stock 121 x 1.0" track. The sled doesn't hook up and you spin the track all the time and in slushy snow conditions the track cant clear snow from the forward heat exchanger and it builds ice that causes the temp light to come with a chance for the sled to overheat. So at the very least you need to go to a 121 x 1.5 Camoplast Freeride track or stretch the sled with any track with 1.25" lug height or taller. I went with a 144 x 1.25 track with tipped up rail extensions and it made a huge difference with performance of the Phazer. Keep in mind that the Phazer is one of easiest sleds out there to do a track swap so dont let that intimidate you. G.B.

Wouldn't the individual benefit more from buying a Nytro? Suggesting that after buying the sled, then having to sink more money into rail extensions and a longer track that is still going to be turned by a wee 500cc engine, it probably would be more beneficial to just spring for a Nytro..then you get the longer track and the extra power to spin it. You could also stud the stock track like I did, keeping in mind that it was originally intended to be a trail sled not a crossover. I do agree that if the stock hacksaw came in at least a 1.250" it would not spin as much.

View attachment 136838

The tunnel close out panel helps, but even on my 09' that came form the factory with the rear of the tunnel closed off, ice build was an issue. Once I added Mountaintech boards ice build up has been no longer an issue. G.B.

I understand your point of view for the running boards but do you still not have ice build up in the tunnel in spite of it being closed off? I closed my 07" tunnel openings and I still have ice build up in the rear and along the sides. Those running boards are pimp and I often wonder if I should take a hole saw to mine to improve the deep snow evacuation without sacrificing structural rigidity.

Wouldn't the individual benefit more from buying a Nytro? Suggesting that after buying the sled, then having to sink more money into rail extensions and a longer track that is still going to be turned by a wee 500cc engine, it probably would be more beneficial to just spring for a Nytro..then you get the longer track and the extra power to spin it. You could also stud the stock track like I did, keeping in mind that it was originally intended to be a trail sled not a crossover. I do agree that if the stock hacksaw came in at least a 1.250" it would not spin as much.
Maybe? Since you can now pick up Nytro XTX's for under $4,000 right now. When I bought my Phazer 5 some years ago they were 3,000 more than a Phazer. I have ridden Nytro RTX and XTX's and while they have more power they are not as easy to throw around as a Phazer is. A Phazer I think is some 60 lbs lighter and the narrow seat makes it easier to hang off in the corners and gives you leverage to throw it around. Anyone considering a Phazer should ride one first as they are really different than most sleds out there. I love my Phazer especially after I long tracked it and added a bunch of mods. Is is 10x better of a sled than stock. My modified Phazer is ideal for how I ride about 80%. About 20% I wish for more power. G.B.

I understand your point of view for the running boards but do you still not have ice build up in the tunnel in spite of it being closed off? I closed my 07" tunnel openings and I still have ice build up in the rear and along the sides. Those running boards are pimp and I often wonder if I should take a hole saw to mine to improve the deep snow evacuation without sacrificing structural rigidity.
These Mountaintech boards are killer! They are the best ones you can buy. Super strong and fit like factory. My 09' has the rear section of the tunnel closed off from the factory. The front is still open. There is no ice build up on the boards with the Mountaintech running boards. The only ice I still get is a small trail of ice down the sides of the tunnel near the end of the gas tank and the front of the seat. Its not much but from time to time my pant leg sticks to is, haha. G.B.

I already have a 1000cc sled, I don't need another. I think the Phazer is 160 lbs lighter than my Apex. I rode one and loved it. Easy to move around, easier on the arms to. I'll keep the Apex but just want something smaller and less powerfull.
The Phazer is a nice sled, go with the xtx, I owned a 14 xtx and moved to a Apex xtx, I do miss the lightness of the Phazer and it had plenty of power, you also will enjoy the rider forward seating position, a lot easier on your legs and knee's, mine had the 1.5 inch lug which was just great for breaking trail, trail riding and just off exploring, I had the 150mm tuner skis which are wider than stock skis also suited the xtx better, reliable and good on fuel comes with the Phazer, you do have to move around abit on it but it will come naturally to you where the rider forward position makes it a breeze to do, I will add that I upgraded to the WRP seat for the Phazer which was a good upgrade and highly recommend , I also messed around abit with clutching but went back to stock, seems to work the best, I enjoyed riding my phazer and my buddy bought it from me when I moved to the apex, so its still with me as we travel alot together riding trails, I had no problems with the machine in the couple of years I owned it and it still is running strong do this day. hope this helps

Back