• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This engine trouble is getting old....

Theblackbullet

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2004 RX Warrior
I hope someone can give me a little insight on this topic. I bought this '04 Warrior last summer, 3100 miles. It started up and ran fine, even down the grass patch. It wasn't till the first snow that I found my first issue. And that was when the sled got to full operating temp(180+/-). it would idle between 3000 and 3500 RPM's. I took this sled to my service guy twice for this issue, the first time they replaced the diaphragm spring for fear that someone may have tried to shorten them up and cut them to short and also the diaphragm assembly to ensure a good seal. It seemed to work ... until we got it back to full operating temp. The second time it was in the shop two people went through the carbs twice each to make sure everything was back to exact yamaha specs, they even went as far as to call bender to make sure the exhaust wasn't to blame. After this, it ran great, put over 350 miles on it one weekend it MI. Now, I was out banging around in some drifts around home yesterday and it still idles ok, but wants to miss fire every once in a while. At higher speeds, 55+, it really misses, and when you let out of the throttle it will pop and back fire. If thats not enough for you..... My speedo will read 0-4mph while sitting still and 0-6mph when I'm doing at least 35mph. Someone please help cause this is getting old....

do a search on here for coils. Sounds to me like the coils are arcking

have you checked the wiring in the nose cone unedr the beer holder yet? might be the source of most of your problems if there is a rub-through.

Sounds like coils causing the mis fire and check the speedo pick up behind the secondary. The Secondary just comes off with that one bolt easy to pop off and make sure the sensor is ok. If it is then check the wires at the front of the hood for rub through.

Good luck

Thanks guys for the insight. Hopefully I can get out to check those couple things tonight. I will let you all know what it is when I find out.

I would say it need a good carb cleaning mine would pull to 8,000 and then pick up a miss changed the plugs and coils still there pulled the carbs and cleaned the jets all better. I still have a bit of run up in the idle at times to about 3200 rpms especially when I come off a hard blast and have to keep burping the throttle to get it to drop down.

Well boys, the speedo issue is solved. I checked the sensor just below the clutch and the bearing is gone. I think it is kind of odd considering I didn't hear anything. I know I'm lucky too cause I checked it all out and nothing else is worn. So a new bearing and a new sensor and she will be good to go. I'm just glad I quit riding as soon as I noticed it...... Thanks for the help. I will keep investigating the misfire issue. I checked the coils and the readings came back ok so I will dig a little deeper. And I assure you the carbs are not to blame. Since I have owned this sled they have been torn apart at least 6 times by certified techs. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ebockus-
Send me a PM with your email, that way I can attach a small document with the coil parameters and diagram of how to do it.

Its not the resistance that is the problem with the coils its that they arc.
the spark arcs to the plug tube instaed of the plug.

Stain,

That is what I was concerned about. Shortly after I bought the sled I happened to notice an arc on the #4 coil. I firmly pushed on it to make sure it was all the way in and it wasn't, I went about 2 more notches. It was prob just wishful thinking that I fixed the problem with that..... but in reality I didn't. Can you replace just one coil? I'm guessing that it is recommended to change all 4.... does anyone have some good used coils?? Ha

Yes, you can change just 1 coil. Put a small amount of dielectric grease on the ends when doing so. Also try cleaning the black gunk from the end of the coils first. A little brake clean and some light compressed air does the trick.

Back