• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thoughts on 1.75" lug for groomed trails

Carbide

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'15 Apex X-TX -SOLD
'21 Sidewinder L-TX SE
In the past I have heard negative comments from some about people that run large lugged tracks on groomed trails.
I'm indifferent, and I am sure there are many of you that do run them on groomed trails.
I've always had trail sleds but now am considering a X-TX, some of which come with 1.25" lugs and some with 1.75" lugs.

The argument is obviously they churn up and rut the trails.

Opinions/thoughts/arguments?
I did search the topic with no results.

Tearing trails up is not the issue that is totally dependent on you riding style. The main issue is fast hyfax wear with 1.75 track in low snow conditions or hardpak. Must have Scratchers when running 1.75 and that will do more to mess up trails than deeper lug track. You should be asking yourself ....Why do you want 1.75?... Usually would be improved flotation in deep snow. I ride northern WI trails everyday and 1.75 would be wrong for hardpak and low snow trail conditions but aok when I ride in WUPMI. Your track choice should be based on where and how you ride. I have a 144 1.25 ice ripper on my XTX best for me.

1.25" would definitely be my first choice.

if you did get one with a 1.75 track I would bet someone would buy the track from you they are popular. then use the money for the pre studded track and be happy.

Good to know I'm not the only one in this dilemma. I snow checked an Apex XT-X and after having longer track sleds (stretched AD Boivin Expert-X 136" in RX-1 & 136" in Apex LTX), I was not interested in the 129" but was apprehensive with the 1.75" lug track of the XT-X considering where I ride; primarily U.P but also in the lower as well as back home when we actually get snow and it stays cold enough for the lake to freeze . To make matters worse, the 146" Ripsaw II 1.25" track is not a common track that Tracks USA or other track vendors sell so you're only option is to buy direct from Yamaha. Fortunately for me, I was able to find a new one during an end-of-season sale this past February at a pretty decent price so already have it ready to go. I did consider the pre-studded tracks but one of my ridding buddies has the Ice Ripper 1.25" on his Renegade ACE and said it did not hold on the icy corners like traditional studs and stated that if it was more than a 90hp sled, he would have went with a non-studded track and traditional studs so I decided against going that route.

Initially, I was going to do what thor425 suggested and sell the Back Country to offset the cost of the Ripsaw II track and studs that I bought but am now considering holding onto it as well as ordering a new drive axle and drivers that were used on the '18 Apex and the '16 & '17 XTX 1.25" models so that I could easily swap out tracks (i.e. not have to hassle with removing/replacing drive sprockets) if/when the winter's snowfall amounts improve where the 1.75. I realize I don't have to replace the drive axle and sprockets or just the sprockets when switching from the 1.75" track to the 1.25" track but I figure if you're going to run the 1.25" track might as well run the larger sprockets like those other models do so as to not compromise top end. The only draw back with doing so is that you can't buy the drive axle assembly as a whole. Instead, you have to buy the axle and sprockets and then have them pressed on which can be a pain but believe the machine shop at our local Napa Auto Parts store can easily do it; especially if I give them the drive axle assembly off the XT-X 1.75 for measurements and bring along my 1.25" track for confirmation of sprocket alignment.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick with the 1.25".
Found a like new '15 X-TX with under 900 miles. Working out a deal.

In the past I have heard negative comments from some about people that run large lugged tracks on groomed trails.
I'm indifferent, and I am sure there are many of you that do run them on groomed trails.
I've always had trail sleds but now am considering a X-TX, some of which come with 1.25" lugs and some with 1.75" lugs.

The argument is obviously they churn up and rut the trails.

Opinions/thoughts/arguments?
I did search the topic with no results.
I have the 16 xtx with the 1.75, anybody behind you on a groomed trail will not be happy as this track throws the snow, if you do abit of off trail and none groomed trail riding this is where this track shines, I run DuPont slides and 135mm idlers and also scratchers with no wear problems at all in low snow or hard pack, I don't think top end would be the same as the 1.25 track but your hook up and braking with the 1.75 will be more noticeable, as far as pressing on new sprockets on your previous axle look very closely and make sure there is not any pits or bits of rust or deep scratches in the axle or you will ruin your new sprockets.

Sounds like a great sled good luck

I am studding my XTX 1.25 as realistically I ride hard pack to icy MN trails, that's what I do 90+% of the time and that's were the Ripsaw shines.

Hope you can put a deal together on the XTX, good luck!
Fairly confident based on your riding conditions you will not be happy with the Tuner skis, so consider some options before you ruin a sledding season fighting with them like I did. Longer track and studs will make it even worse, jmho.
Cheers

Sounds like a great sled good luck

I am studding my XTX 1.25 as realistically I ride hard pack to icy MN trails, that's what I do 90+% of the time and that's were the Ripsaw shines.
Yeah...This one is not studded. My RTX is though.
Here is a photo of said machine.
Thumb-5.jpg

After more consideration, I've decided to commit to the 1.25" so will most likely sell the Back Country 1.75" off the '18 XT-X once I take ownership to recoup cost of getting the 1.25 Ripsaw II. So rather than purchase a new drive axle, I just bought the drivers to swap out. I'm like you yamadoo in that a majority of my riding would not be conducive to the 1.75" and am sure I can sell the Back Country to someone where it would be for them.

After more consideration, I've decided to commit to the 1.25" so will most likely sell the Back Country 1.75" off the '18 XT-X once I take ownership to recoup cost of getting the 1.25 Ripsaw II. So rather than purchase a new drive axle, I just bought the drivers to swap out. I'm like you yamadoo in that a majority of my riding would not be conducive to the 1.75" and am sure I can sell the Back Country to someone where it would be for them.
my Sidewinder has the 1.75 backcountry track and I personally would never use get that track again. its only plus is better traction when in deep soft snow, but once you get going it seams to take a lot of power to run it in the soft snow where the 1.25" tracks just fly past you. But the worst is its a dangerous track if you happen to come across bare ice patches, the flat lug profile on the backcountry instantly wants to slide out on you, but a 1.25" ripsaw will hold a straight line on ice unless you accelerate or slow down to aggressively, just my experience with using them.

if you did get one with a 1.75 track I would bet someone would buy the track from you they are popular. then use the money for the pre studded track and be happy.

Amen, 1.6" Ice Cobra puts the power down. You don't realize what track spin is until you get off the 1.25" non studded tracks. 1.25" studded or the 1.6" pre-studded is an amazing difference for us trail guys.

And I agree above, what is with the snow flap on the XTX? My buddies bitch at me all the time when following, even when I still had the 1.25" Ripsaw on there. That rear end on the XTX is up so high, the flap is near worthless. I have bent it down a bit, but I truly think it needs to be longer to be effective. But that really doesn't effect me, so I never think of solving the solution.

Good luck

Back