• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thrown Rod/Cracked Case - 05 Venture Replacement engine question)

HatchetJack

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RS Venture
Hello all,

End of season last year, I threw a rod (failed piston 'Plane Bearing') on my 05 RS Venture and the top and bottom cases of my engine cracked. I took it all apart to see what I could salvage so I have a bunch of good parts left. I have a lead on an 06 Vector engine which should just drop right in. The only catch is this engine lost spark due to a key shearing off (not sure what key) on the stator side of the engine and the mag spun. This is basically what the seller is telling me, and I'm not sure about the key he is talking about. Can this be fixed by a weekend warrior? I understand this involves some work inside the engine near the stator.
Do any of you guys think this is a show stopper? I have all the parts left from my cracked 05 venture engine, that should be mostly interchangeable.

Let me know what you think, I can't decide what to do.

Last edited:

the key the seller is talking about holds the flywheel in place for correct spark timing. you can tackle it yourself no problem. i do reccomend getting a new gasket for the stator cover while you are in there as the one i have done tore when i took it apart as well as a new flywheel key.

Back