• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thunder Products orange secondary spring poll

How are you using your Orange secondary spring?

• Total voters

NOS-PRO

"The Burnman"
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder, SR Viper XTX, SR Viper XTX, 2016 Apex XTX and Pro-Line Pro Stock 1000
Doing this poll because there are a lot of topics on the Orange secondary spring from Thunder Products and I would like to know some aspects...

Please also note which belt you are running.

The poll is only open 7 days, but if you comment...please list your sled, if you have traction products, your clutching and belt and comment your positives or negatives (belt life, speed, clutch temps, etc...)

I'll start....
EVO flashed stage 4, EVO exhaust, 21/41 gearing, 1.6 track 141.
Thunder Products clutching with 33/35 reverse angle helix and Orange secondary spring set at 3-3.
Gates 40C4313
Clutches luke warm
Awesome acceleration, engine braking is very little and top speed best of 130GPS

No issues with blowing belts. Same belt has been on my SW from 2017 asphalt racing, numerous testing and back to back wide open runs and almost 500 trail miles and off-trail fun.

Very happy with my setup

I had 600 miles on stock 180 studs rtx le no trouble. Switched to powertrial Dalton weights orange tpi spring 60* blew belt at 700 miles clutches were hot. Going to try stock spring and check temp.

NOS, one thing that I feel is a HUGE thing in this clutching is the belt. Might want to have a few more choices for belts. 8 dn. XS. Gates carbon. I really think the belts are a huge factor. Some are a lot softer then others and the primary grabs them way more then the harder compound belts. Most do not realize this. IMO . Food for thought

TD PT ,Dalton weights stk 35 helix ,Dalton blk/blue drive spring ,TP orange driven .8JP or Gates 40c4313 .When i had the 33/35 helix in with the xs 825 belt the clutches were too hot and not enough load on the motor .T he belt only lasted 25 miles .This was the first blown belt for me with 2200 miles on the sled ,but i was always running the gates belt .I'm always testing things till i get the correct combo .

NOS, one thing that I feel is a HUGE thing in this clutching is the belt. Might want to have a few more choices for belts. 8 dn. XS. Gates carbon. I really think the belts are a huge factor. Some are a lot softer then others and the primary grabs them way more then the harder compound belts. Most do not realize this. IMO . Food for thought

The poll would only allow 10 open spots...trust me if I could....every little thing would have been mentioned. Every belt, every clutch kit, 33/35, 35/39, what flash, stock....etc.

Please note specific notes like belt, full throttle and part throttle, heat...etc.

Stock flash, orange secondary @ 60, orange primary with glides, TPI rollers, stock helix and stock weights. Stock 8JP belt looks great @ 450 miles. Clutches normal warm. Sled runs strong and is very responsive in the trail and runs 8900 down the lake.

I'm running Dave's 240 hp race flash right now. I have the orange spring at 60* with thunder products primary and heavy hitter weights loaded up. I'm using the XS belt, TPI rollers, and TPI 33/35 helix. I have this on the LTX LE with a 1.6 ice cobra and 22T top gear. No full throttle runs but been over 100 a couple times, have about 250 miles on this belt so far and I love how the clutching is although I haven't checked if they are running real hot or not. I have a big trip this upcoming weekend and will put on 500 miles plus so will check belt and clutch temps and will report back with any issues. And I will be bringing a couple spare belts along as well just in case. So far so good though.

PT flash, 22/41 gearing, 1.25 track with 192 studs. Ulmer primary spring, STM weights, 35/39 helix, TP orange secondary spring.

2000 miles with no belt issues last year. Only clutching change was TP orange spring. Smoked 3 belts in 600 miles since installing it.

Geared up and changed track this year. Ran 1.75 track last year.

Last year I could hold it wide open as long as I wanted. This year I'm scared to hold it more than a few seconds. Going back to my stock spring when I get home from this expensive trip. (3 belts blown).

I can't see the track and gearing causing my issues. I'll post results from going back to my stock spring shimmed if there's any snow left at home.

Last year I drove Hurricane 225 flash, otherwise standard. Drove 2650 km (1650 mile) with 8jp, no problem.
This year I drive Hurricane 270 race with Thunder Products Big Venom kit and Orange Secondary set at 3,3. Running 6 km (4 mile) the belt went straight of, put on a used belt that lasted 100 km (62 mile), then it went straight of. Put on a new belt that lasted 250 km (155 mile), it went straight of. All the belts went off as I drove slowly and pulled hard on the gas. The first in loose snow on a lake. The other on hard snow on the trail. The last one was in deep snow. Now I'll try a Gates carbon.
Any suggestions on what to do otherwise?

Last edited:
PT flash, 22/41 gearing, 1.25 track with 192 studs. Ulmer primary spring, STM weights, 35/39 helix, TP orange secondary spring.

2000 miles with no belt issues last year. Only clutching change was TP orange spring. Smoked 3 belts in 600 miles since installing it.

Geared up and changed track this year. Ran 1.75 track last year.

Last year I could hold it wide open as long as I wanted. This year I'm scared to hold it more than a few seconds. Going back to my stock spring when I get home from this expensive trip. (3 belts blown).

I can't see the track and gearing causing my issues. I'll post results from going back to my stock spring shimmed if there's any snow left at home.

I am hearing this a lot with that orange TP spring. I have pretty much the same setup as you, track, gearing, primary weigts... only difference is helix. not running a reverse. I was going to try that driven spring but think i'll hold off now and try the dalton instead. It sounds like the orange TP is just too stiff unless wrapping at 50 degrees then borderline. I wonder if gearing is the culprit for blown belts with this spring?

Last edited:
Thunder Products primary clutching, TP orange secondary spring (3-3), Dalton 35/39 helix, 8DN belt
Put 280 miles on a new belt this weekend
Haven't looked at the belt yet but I will tonight

Last edited:
Went up to Maine between Christmas and New Year's. 608 miles on bone stock setup. Going over the sled once home discovered I had flat spotted one secondary roller. Placed an order with Lonn at TP and now running two lubricated glide washers in primary with the stock factory spring. TP's 33/35 billet helix with TP's orange spring set at 3/3 and TP's secondary rollers and the factory 8jp belt. Other than these changes, all stock. I have not run this setup yet but hope to this weekend weather permitting. I put a post up last week addressing this clutch setup (Clutch Newbie) and was assured by other members this setup would work good for my style of riding. I now see Nos-Pro's post on updates on the orange spring and I'm not too sure if I made the right move.

Went up to Maine between Christmas and New Year's. 608 miles on bone stock setup. Going over the sled once home discovered I had flat spotted one secondary roller. Placed an order with Lonn at TP and now running two lubricated glide washers in primary with the stock factory spring. TP's 33/35 billet helix with TP's orange spring set at 3/3 and TP's secondary rollers and the factory 8jp belt. Other than these changes, all stock. I have not run this setup yet but hope to this weekend weather permitting. I put a post up last week addressing this clutch setup (Clutch Newbie) and was assured by other members this setup would work good for my style of riding. I now see Nos-Pro's post on updates on the orange spring and I'm not too sure if I made the right move.

All stock, you should be alright. I updated switching to 2-3 for the orange spring setting. You aren't flashed so not to worry. Please report back with results

Back