• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Timing after head shim?

ViperRob

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
15 Viper
After a head shim install should both your timing marks and dots on cam all line up with each other? Dots on cam with Arrows on cam caps and marks on cam gears matching each other? Added a example.

Attachments

• 60DCF83B-3839-4415-8646-6EAB299BF2CB.jpeg
    60DCF83B-3839-4415-8646-6EAB299BF2CB.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 177

Should the marks on the cam gears line up with each other like stock? Here is pick of mine done with the head shim installed. Dot on intake cam is is inline with arrows on the cam caps. The dot on the exhaust is towards the intake slightly. I only egged the holes on the intake side per specs. I have a video but can’t get it to upload.

Attachments

• 33A9039F-BC9C-46A6-8CFF-1FCB861DFF60.jpeg
    33A9039F-BC9C-46A6-8CFF-1FCB861DFF60.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 222
image.png
I assume you are on the mark at flywheel?
Head shim makes chain effectively shorter which would move both gears counterclockwise. D on exhaust would go up and D on intake would go down. Opposite of what you have in your pic. But no they will not be lined up like stock unless both gears were slotted. From that angle it sure looks like exhaust is one tooth off. Move it one tooth counterclockwise and take another pic.

I would call Hurricane. I put a head shim on my viper but Dave supplied me with a timing jig and slotted sprockets.

Back