• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Timing marks on RX-1 Crank????

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
This summer i picked up an 03 rx1 with 297 miles. Motor wasn't broken in and locked up. put the whole motor back together yesterday. had a hard time starting it when it did start it was spitting like crazy out of the carbs. i pulled the valve cover and sure enough everthing is still in check with timing. however i'm wandering if i used the wrong index mark on the flywheel. there are like 4 tick marks. my yamaha service manual just says line it up with the tick on the flywheel and index mark on the flywheel!!!! i used my best guess as to which tick and am guessing i got the wrong one?? which mark is it? there is one lone mark the other 3 look like back to back capital I's. Thanks in advance for any help. can't wait to get it up and running. I've never rode the four stroke. i'm comming off a viper.

i doubt the air box is gonna fix this, but i'll give it a shot. I'm leaing towards valve clearance. perhaps the intakes are sticking open a bit. It only spits out of 3 carbs. The clutch side cylinder (#1) does not spit back.

Better do a compression check when you get it set right. I'll bet that you bent some intake valves, believe me they will bend real easy. Ken

I have it set on mark farest to the left of the 3 I's and all the marks line up perfect. It was only spitting out of 3 carbs rather than all 4. This had me thinking it wasn't timing because that would affect all cylinders. So..next i figured valve clearance might not be correct. if there isn't clearance it could cause intakes to stick open wich would generate spit back on the compression stroke. motor only had 297 miles on it so assumed clearances would still be fine. i checked clearances and i couldn't even get .002 to fit. i'm almost sure this is my problem. any one ever adjust valves on these? how is it? i've never done any of the bucket over shim setups. seems like a pain figuring out what size shims to get and so on...

The very first mark you see when you're rotating the flywheel clockwise is the one you need to "time" everything to.

if its the first mark when rotating the flywheel clockwise then i've got it right. Timing is dead on. Has to be the lack of valve clearance on intake. min is .0039 i believe and i couldn't even get .002 to fit! Thanks so much for all the responses! I'll just refer to the service manual on doing this. If anyone has any tricks to doing this procedure please let me know. Thanks again!

There's two cycles for timing on all 4 stroke machines I've timed.....first cycle only one valve is loose (wrong one) second cycle all valves are loose (right one) but these were single cylinders,is it different on 4 cylinder?

Back