• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tippy sled

Lumberjackguy

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Venture PZ50MPE
just purchased a used 2014 Yamaha Venture PZ50 two seater. Wife and I are novelist sledders, only do groomed trails.
The sled seems very unstable/tippy at on curves and uneven ground, even at low speeds. A little uneven ground in the trail can cause one ski to lift. Any way to correct this?
I love the sled, electric start, reverse, just enough power for two old people.

If I'm not mistaken the PZ50 is a Venture Lite. I have a Venture MultiPurpose so I am unsure but I think you have a sway bar. If so there are two ways to install the bracket and two ways to install the bushing. That gives you four positions. Lengthening the effective length of the arms softens the swaybar, shorter is stiffer.

On firm trails the stock skis do not contribute to tippiness but off trail a wider ski is required. I have 8 inch PowderHounds, there are less expensive options.

And finally, I found it a little unnerving in the beginning but now I don't bat an eye at a little ski lift. Another way to get a little more ski pressure is to shorten the limiter strap one hole.

If I'm not mistaken the PZ50 is a Venture Lite. I have a Venture MultiPurpose so I am unsure but I think you have a sway bar. If so there are two ways to install the bracket and two ways to install the bushing. That gives you four positions. Lengthening the effective length of the arms softens the swaybar, shorter is stiffer.

On firm trails the stock skis do not contribute to tippiness but off trail a wider ski is required. I have 8 inch PowderHounds, there are less expensive options.

And finally, I found it a little unnerving in the beginning but now I don't bat an eye at a little ski lift. Another way to get a little more ski pressure is to shorten the limiter strap one hole.
Thank you, sorry I posted this in the wrong spot at first (new guy).
Dangerous question, but what is the sway bar and what is the limiter strap. Yep, I need to take this to my dealer. Lumberjackguy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

Venture Lites ended in 2013 so this is definitely an MP. It's a better sled than the Lite IMHO. Gas shocks are better for sure.

If you are learning how to snowmobile, these sleds are a little more of a handful to handle. With its higher center of gravity, because of the higher sitting position, it is inherently tippy. The suspension can be adjusted to help a bit but it will need a lot of body English to keep it planted in corners. I've had mine for 15 000 km and most of it was trail riding. I just learn to slow down in the turns and lean. Both of you will have to lean. You learn to attack hills straight on and not on an angle or it will roll on you (had that happen a few times). Forget side hilling or you really lean on the opposite side to keep it from tipping (also learned that one the hard way too).

To adjust the suspension, if you are not familiar with the mechanics of it, you should bring it to the dealer. If you ride mostly 2up, bring your wife along while it is being adjusted as you will both sit on it while being adjusted. It may need the optional stiffer springs if you mostly ride 2up.

I had years of experience sledding when I got mine and basically had to relearn how to ride with my MP. Whole different animal. I'm actually switching over to an RS Venture GT next season, which is a whole lot nicer and better mannered for long trips and "old folks" like us :D

Back