• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tips on Schmidt Bro’s Stage II Clutch Install?

BCgee

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Nytro MTX
Have a SB stage 2 clutch kit in hand and wondering if anyone has a photo guide or like write up of their install?

I’ve never messed with the clutch on the Nytro and the written directions seem to presume lots of mechanical savvy, not to mention they say to drill out stuff (which I don’t want to mess up...) I have tools, service manual, and have rebuilt my front end, steering, rails, etc but the clutch is a little intimidating.

Appreciate any install tips or photos.

I just finished my second Schmidt bro stg ii install on my newer nytro. With the instructions he had supplied I just kinda of did it. Do you have specific questions or just want an overall guide?

I will say drilling out the weights in the arms and smashing (yes smashing is the appropriate word) in the new one was the trickiest one. You definitely need a some punches, a bench top vice, and some blocks of wood for that.
I will agree with you, taking apart your first clutch is very intimidating. However, once you have the clutch apart it's not nearly as intimidating as you thought it was.

Have a SB stage 2 clutch kit in hand and wondering if anyone has a photo guide or like write up of their install?

I’ve never messed with the clutch on the Nytro and the written directions seem to presume lots of mechanical savvy, not to mention they say to drill out stuff (which I don’t want to mess up...) I have tools, service manual, and have rebuilt my front end, steering, rails, etc but the clutch is a little intimidating.

Appreciate any install tips or photos.
That you Jim P? I didn’t forget. Just swamped with work right now. We will get it done.

I just finished my second Schmidt bro stg ii install on my newer nytro. With the instructions he had supplied I just kinda of did it. Do you have specific questions or just want an overall guide?

I will say drilling out the weights in the arms and smashing (yes smashing is the appropriate word) in the new one was the trickiest one. You definitely need a some punches, a bench top vice, and some blocks of wood for that.
I will agree with you, taking apart your first clutch is very intimidating. However, once you have the clutch apart it's not nearly as intimidating as you thought it was.

The Truck454: appreciate the reply. The drilling out the weights in the arms and smashing in new rivets is definitely one of the things that gave me pause. I'm a visual learner and therefore am having a hard time picturing the exact process because I've never taken the weights out of a Nytro clutch. Likewise installing the quiet shims and bushings seems straightforward but again, words alone didn't lend much confidence. Sounds like this is one of those projects I need to commit to taking on and doing s-l-o-w-l-y to ensure its done right the first time.

Yea, slow and steady and you will be good. For the primary side cover, just take out one bolt of each pair. Then back out the remaining bolts in the pairs in 1-2 turn increments and the cover will come of fine. Those are pretty long threads so when the bolts finally come out, there primary spring doesn't have any compression. On the secondary side just hold the helix in place and back off the three nuts. Then with a firm grasp tske it off, it will rotate counterclockwise a bit so don't be startled. As far as the weight arms and roller go, just one one at a time so you have the others as a template to put em back together. For drilling out the weights it's pretty obvious when you've drilled the tops off them as the bit won't bite into the body of the arms. It helps to have a small metal chisel to take the tops of the weights off incase you didn't drill dead center. Smashing in the new weights was a little leary though. You really have to him it hard for many blows to mushroom the weight so it's in place.

Back