• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tire Tread Size?

o's srx

Lifetime Member
Hey guys, just picked up my first atv and had a quick question about different tread depths.
The bike is a 1996 AC Bearcat 454 which is full time 4x4. The fronts on it now are brand new and have 22/32" tread but I need new rears. I picked up a full set of new Cat OEM takeoffs, that have the same tread pattern but they have a 1/2" tread.
My question is would I wreck anything have the larger tread on the front? Both are the stock 25" tires.
I bought the bike as a back up incase my snowblower craps out so I can at least plow the driveway if needed, move my utility trailers around the yard. I didn't want an automatic transmission and wanted the manual shift so i don't burn up any belts towing stuff. Thats why I went with this bike and the price was right!
I can count on one hand how many times I'll be out on trails with it as there are none around I can access.
Thanks!

Hey guys, just picked up my first atv and had a quick question about different tread depths.
The bike is a 1996 AC Bearcat 454 which is full time 4x4. The fronts on it now are brand new and have 22/32" tread but I need new rears. I picked up a full set of new Cat OEM takeoffs, that have the same tread pattern but they have a 1/2" tread.
My question is would I wreck anything have the larger tread on the front? Both are the stock 25" tires.
I bought the bike as a back up incase my snowblower craps out so I can at least plow the driveway if needed, move my utility trailers around the yard. I didn't want an automatic transmission and wanted the manual shift so i don't burn up any belts towing stuff. Thats why I went with this bike and the price was right!
I can count on one hand how many times I'll be out on trails with it as there are none around I can access.
Thanks!

That will not be an issue. It will just bite a little more when you corner.

it should be fine if you run lower pressure in the fronts than reccomended. it helps make the tires the same diameter and will save the 4x4 system.

Back