• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tires...Wheels?

truth2ak

Veteran
Myabe you guys can help me out there. I am getting ready to purchase a 06 Kodiak 450. I wanted to upgrade to the same size tires but a ITP 589 MS or Mud Lites but I wanted to stick with the factory wheels. Is this ok or do I need to upgrade the wheel as well?

Thanks

Then why doesn't anybody stay with stock. Is the aluminum wheel that much lighter or just for looks??

I'm keeping my stock wheels for a while. I have a camo model with the black wheels though, so it looks great even with stock wheels. I think most just change to custom wheels for looks. The aftermarket wheels also seem to have about a half-inch more off-set to them, so it offers a little more stability/width. I'll be getting CastleRock wheels next month, but for now...my black ones look just fine.

Well the stocks are just a stamped wheel. They will bend and warp very easily. The reason guys buy Aftermarket wheels are because they are stronger. My ITP wheels are a Cast Alum. and they are like 100 times stronger then the stocks.

Oh and looks doesn't hurt! ;)!

HavingSX said:
Then why doesn't anybody stay with stock. Is the aluminum wheel that much lighter or just for looks??
I have to admit I tell myself I got the wheels for strength but i really got them for looks. 8)

Attachments

• Tigger.jpg
    Tigger.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 474
those aluminum wheels are stronger but they are really thick and weigh alot more than the stockers.they will decrease the power of your quad but make you look cool :-o so its a give and take thing.if you have a 450 i would recommend just upgrading the tires first then in the future take a look at wheels if you'll think they help.

How do you like the mudbugs Sleddersteve? Have you tried/used mudlites in the past? Those are the tires i want to get when the time comes. I have read numerous comparisons between them and the lites and it seems 90% of the time guys prefer the Bugs? Better wear ratio and better trail manners? Do you feel the same? Now i just got to find out who sells them in Canada? Thanks...Irv

I like the bugs for most everything but hardpack trail where they vibrate like a tractor. I have DirtDevils on my wife's Grizzly and while they're much better on hardpack they do plug up quicker in mud.

Many of the folks I ride with have mudlites which is why I got two different styles so we could compare. While the difference is sublte, I'd put the mudlites in between my bugs and the DD's. Not quite as good of a cleanout in the yucky mud but certainly a better ride on hardpack. They seem to have better cleanout than the DD's in mud.

Bottom line for me is I'll take the Grizz with the bugs for certain mud or unknown terrain and I'll take the the wife's with DD's for forest and sand trails because it rides and handles better.

I hope all that made sense. :?

I decided I want to stay with 25" tall mud lites tires do to the power thing :(. Should I go all 10" or should I put the 8"s up front. Any suggestions appreciated.

You know I always told myself if I was to put new tires on my stock rims I would put 25x10x12 tires all around. The only problem with that is my 02, (Not sure about newer years) the front rims or 6" wide and rears are 7.5". To me I think if I put a 10" wide tire on a 6" rim the tire would llok like its really bowing out, more then normal. I've got friends that bought extra rear wheels and tires and just run it that way, stock rear tires all around.

I'd check your rims for width up front. On the outside of your wheel is stamped the wheel size. I was thinking that one time I heard that newer years had same width all around, but I'm not sure, just know mine are not!

Good Luck with the Mudlites, I know the 25" tires wont have the tall lugs like the 26" tires and up, but the pattern is good and should do you well!

Thanks Sleddersteve, your answer did make sense and it will influence my decision when the time comes. I have to wear the stockers out more, so says the wife! before i can buy new! Always something eh?..........Irv

If they are making a 12" wide tire in the 25" size then put the 12's on the back.

I happen to like the stock wheels on my Grizz, well not the silver stock but I replaced them with black stock wheels. With 12" mounted in back and 10's up front it will work just fine. With 10's in front and back you should add a 1" spacer on the rear to keep the tracking correct.

Thanks!! great information guys!!! :lol: If I did go to the 26" tire how much power do I loose? is it a huge loss?

Back