• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

To stud or not to stud

tooold

Extreme
I boys around here are against studs They say helps only in once in awhile they tear up your sled the extra wieght really slows your top end they wear out in a few months or even weeks are they worth it ???? we have very little snow hear less than six inches average lot of lake running and ditches :roll:

Once you use studs, youll never have another sled without. Not only the added traction for acceleration, but much safer on ice with regards to braking.

Your parts are on the way...BBY

P.S.- I have a sale on Extreme Max studs (stainless steel, any length) including backers for $1.45/each...Matt

Woodys or Rotein are very good studs. You will spend somewhere in the 2.00 range/each for both brands. I Would choose the Rotein Hornets as the premier stud on the market. I also have these available...BBY

I disagree, I have always had studs (I too used Woody's). With the RX1 I went with a 1.25" track(Camo 9854) and I will never go back to studs again. I have a couple of friends that also went the studless 1.25 route and they say they will never go back to studs either.

I have to agree with sinjinrx1...I have studded EVERY sled I own until I went to a 1.25" Camoplast. Never again. I love it! No studs and awesome traction!

Condition dictate weather or not you need studs. Hard flat trails that tend to get icy from heavy traffic need studs. Long wide open canada trails do not. If you like to drag race at all it's a no brainer you need studs. Unless you drag race in loose snow. Most time's your on hard pack/ice and you need studs.

No more studs here. Had some serious problems while using them and it costed me. 2 black warriors studless. Former rx-1 7 hours labor and new track and hear exhaunger $1000 latter and i was back on the trail.

No more studs here. Had some serious problems while using them and it costed me. 2 black warriors studless. Former rx-1 7 hours labor and new track and hear exhaunger $1000 latter and i was back on the trail.

I have to agree with jtssrx in that conditions and/or location will dictate this decision. I also have the 1.25 9854 Predator track but do plan on studding. Where I live, we have a lake that freezes over and when it does, it makes getting around the lake much easier. Of course, as long as there is enough snow, studs will probably not matter but when we have marginal snow or the wind blows what we had on it, studs are a must. I tried to venture out on it last year when the snow was patchy and it totally sucked! I probably did about 3-5 180 degree spins by the time the night was over with one those times putting the sled on it's side. Ended up having to replace the pod that holds the spedo and headlight cover. It just didn't seem right to have to ride it at 35mph the rest of the night when you know you have the "King of the Lake sled". Now, when the snow finally covered the ice, it was a different story; like a big bully compared to the rest of the two strokes I rode with.

I will say one thing, once I installed the Woody's dual carbides, I never once spun out again. I couldn't stud my track last year because I had torn lugs and the dealer was going to warranty it (that how I got my 1.25 track). So the dual carbides was a godsent because at least I was able to ride the lake without having to worry about spinning out again.

RobX-1

RobX-1: You need to add about a 1/4 inch of stock to your exsisting tunnel protectors. I used 1.340 roetens and I hit the tunnel with a loose track. If you add thatstock you'll be golden. Also the Rotens where awsome.

When I get this turbo together I'd like to offer a test ride to you. Your pretty close to Michigan. I'm going to offer a test ride to everyone. It will be on anchor bay.

you better let me know when those test rides are and it better have a full tank of gas, you'd be amazed how long one ride can last :D

Srxspec

Allen I want you to come up to the UP this winter and spend the weekend with us. You and your dad. You can ride the turbo all you want!!! I have a buddy that owns a place in Paridice so it would be free room and board. It's a little further drive but there is some great riding over there!!!

jtssrx, thanks for the offer. You'll have to let me know when because we usually drive up there at least a couple times every year to do some riding. The only thing that concerns me with riding that turbo will be the fact that once I do, I know I will want one in mine.

About adding stock to the tunnel protectors, this was something I had planned on doing but just didn't know how to go about it. Could you give me a little more detail on what you did, either in this thread or using a PM. I heard the Roetens were good studs but I ended up going with Woody's 1.325" Megabites. Although they are a hair smaller, I just think that by adding more protection to what is already there will give me that piece of mind of not having to worry about hitting the tunnel; especially when using these long studs.

My intension is to sell a kit I'm going to workon it this weekend. It should be cheap. If I don't I will give you all the dementions!!!!!

You need a turbo

Back