• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

To stud or not to stud??

SNOxrACEr6

Veteran
Dose anyone have an idea how much studding there track slowed them down?? I herd the weight from the studs slows down your top speed considerably but I have never experienced this first hand. I just bought 144 stud boy power points but I am debating weather to put them on or not. Also I’m throwing in a 23 top gear, any opinions or experience with this setup?????

SNOxrACEr6 said:
Dose anyone have an idea how much studding there track slowed them down?? I herd the weight from the studs slows down your top speed considerably but I have never experienced this first hand. I just bought 144 stud boy power points but I am debating weather to put them on or not. Also I’m throwing in a 23 top gear, any opinions or experience with this setup?????

Put them on the safety factor of studs is what it is about..........

just my opinion but it doesent matter if you can go 110mph and your buddy with the same sled can only go 100mph because he studded if you cant stop when you get to the end of the lake or make the icey corner. but some one once told me that every x pounds of studs is aprox x mph slower, i dont remember the numbers but im sure someone does.

I am studding mine after a weekend of riding without them. Tried going up a pretty steep hill and got half way up and started sliding backwards. All buddies had no problem with hill since they were studded.. Scared me so much dropped off at dealer and had them put 106 studs on it. No more sliding on ice....just my .02

I tried studs in TWO sleds. Took them out both times. Never will do it again.

There is NO SAFETY issue AT ALL. Studded or not, if you drive beyond the conditions, you subject yourself to risk. Safety is about driving according to the conditions.

STEERING is WAY BETTER without studs. Lets the track break loose of the ground for easier and more responsive steering.

Driving on HARD SURFACES, like pavement, concrete, or rocks is BAD with studs - they scrape horribly and don't grip.

Top speed is affected - I don't know how much and really don't care.

My 144" steers easier than a 121 with 96 studs.

My .02

Here's my .02-Had sleds without studs, had a few sleds with studs.

Bought my Apex last year and didn't stud it as I found it a hassle when putting it in the garage and having to be careful not to scratch up the concrete.

Well, since I haven't been able to do any trail riding this year due to our snow conditions and having a lake and river system to ride, I learned a lesson-PUT STUDS IN THE TRACK!!!

I had my nephew out on another sled and went for a ride on the river, taking it easy as the corners were cleared of most of the snow.

Well, wouldn't you know even at 20-25 mph around a gradual curve, the kid's sled started to come around and rolled over once, breaking off the mirrors and cracked the windshield. Luckily no injuries to him, or any seious damage to the sled.

After last year and no studs in the Apex, I thought I would be satisfied with no studs, but that was 100% trail riding. After this past weekend, I'll be ordering the proper traction products needed for SAFETY-I don't care if it robs 5 or 10 mph out of the top speed of either sled.

put 162 woody signature series in my apex gt, I would have to say afterr as top speed goes it slowed down enough for an apex gt same exact sled minus studs to smoke me but yes the controll on ice is worth it, i did not get the hook up i would of expected though still a lot of track spin. I would go with some around 90 or so just down the middle for controll. these sleds have way to much power and the track is going to spin

Back