• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

To switch or not to switch

rcp1018

Pro
I’m on the fence on selling my 2013 Apex and going with a 2018 SR Viper.
I would appreciate any and all opinions. Advantages/ disadvantages.
Thanks

I rode the delta box chassis for several years with my Vector, and loved it, but I never had the power and speed of the Apex that everyone seems so addicted to. For me, the change to the Viper Pro Cross chassis was the answer to my prayers, my Yamaha Vector engine in a chassis that was comfortable and made rough trails fun to ride. It all depends upon where you ride; if your trails are wide open and groomed flat all the time, and you are all about the speed, you will miss your Apex (unless you get a Sidewinder). For me, the Viper is dependably an 80 mph trail sled, and will do mid-90's on a lake with hard-packed snow. At the end of a 300-500 mile weekend, I am ready and raring to go for more. I love my Viper.

Thanks for the reply WannaViper.
My Apex never was able to get over 100mph and as I’m getting up there in age speed is not so important.
Most of my riding is done in Canada and I’m getting tired of always being the first one that needs gas. I only get between 80 -90 miles before the fuel light comes on. What kind of MPG’s are you getting with the Viper?

I got 18 but then again imperial gallon is bigger than us gallon

Bought a Viper 2015 Ltx le put 13000 trouble free miles just bought a 2017 Viper Ltx le like the ride and the 5 year warranty is hard to beat. I did usually avg about 15 mpg

Last ride with 17 Apex every fill I used 3-4 gallons less fuel in my Viper. He was not much better than 2st 800 Cat for fuel use.

Personally I enjoy the ride and feel of my SR Viper R-TX over the Apex. As far as everything else, speed, handling, reliability and MPG excreta that will depend a lot on how you set up your sled. Will you leave it stock or will you go with mods. Speed and efficiency don't usually come as a package. Speed requires power and power needs fuel. The Apex with the R1 4 cylinder 4 stroke was more just a fast sled/motor combo, it was smooth and for the most part time tested, on and off trail. The Apex just feels different as you accelerate. I broke my 14 R-TX in, told the dealer to put in the turbo with a few extras and never looked back. I use on average 1 gallon more fuel for every 5 gallons I put in my Apex. In 2018 if I were buying a sled, coming off an Apex I would be buying a SW.
My own $.02

I just switched to a viper from a apex gt. I kept the apex and my wife rides it now. I love the vipers ride and handling. I ride semi aggressive and the viper is a better fit for me. We rode 300 miles last weekend. The viper was always .5 gallon less on fuel then the apex with my wife riding, and i'm a lot harder on the flippy lever then she is lol. It all depends on riding style. My apex never broke 100mph actual speed. The dream meter has shown as high as 118 but reality was 99mph based on GPS. The viper i'm having some clutching issues and not getting all my top end, it got to 94 on the speedo going across a field. I'm sure it would do better on ice or hard pack. I'm not sure where the speedo is VS gps. My viper has the turbo and i'd say it pulls harder to 65 mph then the apex does.

Personally I enjoy the ride and feel of my SR Viper R-TX over the Apex. As far as everything else, speed, handling, reliability and MPG excreta that will depend a lot on how you set up your sled. Will you leave it stock or will you go with mods. Speed and efficiency don't usually come as a package. Speed requires power and power needs fuel. The Apex with the R1 4 cylinder 4 stroke was more just a fast sled/motor combo, it was smooth and for the most part time tested, on and off trail. The Apex just feels different as you accelerate. I broke my 14 R-TX in, told the dealer to put in the turbo with a few extras and never looked back. I use on average 1 gallon more fuel for every 5 gallons I put in my Apex. In 2018 if I were buying a sled, coming off an Apex I would be buying a SW.
My own $.02
My Viper got 103 mph and 17 Apex 96 mph same stretch of trail gps. Was only thing he was disappointed in. Said he never owned a Apexthat didn’t break 100.

My Viper got 103 mph and 17 Apex 96 mph same stretch of trail gps. Was only thing he was disappointed in. Said he never owned a Apexthat didn’t break 100.

I don’t think your bone stock as far as clutching is concerned. And you do seem to have a bit more knowledge than the average bear. I have three Apex’s and they all break 100 MPH. All are bone stock without any mods or tweaks. My Viper does out perform the Apex’s in more ways than speed but brand new with no adjustments 0 to 80 was perfect and that’s when the Apex would drive around me. With gears clutching and turbo, not to mention other minor upgrades 0 to 100+ is perfect.
355b7868dcdd450273e930d3a2c181f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think your bone stock as far as clutching is concerned. And you do seem to have a bit more knowledge than the average bear. I have three Apex’s and they all break 100 MPH. All are bone stock without any mods or tweaks. My Viper does out perform the Apex’s in more ways than speed but brand new with no adjustments 0 to 80 was perfect and that’s when the Apex would drive around me. With gears clutching and turbo, not to mention other minor upgrades 0 to 100+ is perfect.
355b7868dcdd450273e930d3a2c181f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup you are correct. Just making point that even a Apex is not always 100mph machine and they use very close to as much fuel as a absolutely stock 16 Ac 800.

Apex = robust sled with king of engines especially with turbo, and the Sound...:die

Viper= Not so robust(prepare for workshop days;)!), More handling in everyway, needs turbo for hardcore driver

I don’t need power to be Hardcore!:die

Thats right, in trail power so much not needed but the weight reducing is the way. In 2016 Viper gets bit lighter (hollow cranckshaft etc) and sidewinder kicks in for turbo purposes.

Back