• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

To weld or not to weld-oil change issues!

gzuzfrk

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Nytro XTX
2008 Vector LTX GT
Hi everyone. I'm new here . Just picked up my first Yamaha four stroke, a 2009 Vector LTX GT. Only 2000 miles. Been sitting a while I was told so I decided to give the oil a change to be on the safe side. Had LOTS of fun getting those four Phillips head trim screws holding the bottom half of the side panel on. Don't know if they got over tightened or what but they would not budge. No corrosion but three out of four had to be drilled and pounded on. Finally got to the drain plug on the tank. Put on the wrench and started to try and remove it but rather than snap free the bottom of the tank starts to buckle! What the! I'm panicking at this point so I say a prayer and grab my electric impact gun theorizing that the torque will be more centered. A quick pull of the trigger and the drain plug snaps free. I breathe a sigh of relief. Upon closer inspection however I find the damage was already done. The spout on the bottom of the tank has a thin crack around it that's weeping oil. So......what would you do. I tried some seal all but it doesn't seem to be working so would you take it off and weld it or try something like Jb weld instead? What a way to start my adventure with this thing LOL.

Hi everyone. I'm new here . Just picked up my first Yamaha four stroke, a 2009 Vector LTX GT. Only 2000 miles. Been sitting a while I was told so I decided to give the oil a change to be on the safe side. Had LOTS of fun getting those four Phillips head trim screws holding the bottom half of the side panel on. Don't know if they got over tightened or what but they would not budge. No corrosion but three out of four had to be drilled and pounded on. Finally got to the drain plug on the tank. Put on the wrench and started to try and remove it but rather than snap free the bottom of the tank starts to buckle! What the! I'm panicking at this point so I say a prayer and grab my electric impact gun theorizing that the torque will be more centered. A quick pull of the trigger and the drain plug snaps free. I breathe a sigh of relief. Upon closer inspection however I find the damage was already done. The spout on the bottom of the tank has a thin crack around it that's weeping oil. So......what would you do. I tried some seal all but it doesn't seem to be working so would you take it off and weld it or try something like Jb weld instead? What a way to start my adventure with this thing LOL.
I had a cracked tank also, I would replace it, that tank metal is really thin. Don't think I would use jb weld on it, wouldn't want that breaking loose on the trail. I bought one on ebay, theres a guy custom making those tanks among other parts. The tank was cheaper and the overall custruction is very solid, a lot thicker metal.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

New one. Small price to pay then loosing oil. Once your oil light comes on it might be to late and your starving your engine from lack of oil...been there. Then it's a several thousand dollar fix.

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

I had a cracked tank also, I would replace it, that tank metal is really thin. Don't think I would use jb weld on it, wouldn't want that breaking loose on the trail. I bought one on ebay, theres a guy custom making those tanks among other parts. The tank was cheaper and the overall custruction is very solid, a lot thicker metal.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

The 09 has a different style tank and different mounting points than your 06. I have good used ones here for $125.

It can certainly be welded, but good aluminum welders are not as readily available so make sure you find a reputable one. Lucky for me I have my father! Ha.

Definitely don't chance it with any mix it up goop you smear on! They do work in some applications but I would never chance it on an oil or coolant leak.

I've got a couple of people suggested to me that weld aluminum so I'm going to run it by them. Is the tank under a lot of pressure when the engine is running? If they say no to welding it I will likely be calling you hibshman25. Been thinking about one of those comfort clutch springs you sell anyway. Package deal? ;)

The tank is not under pressure as its vented to the air box. If the welding does not work out get in touch with me and I can get you fixed up. My soft start springs have been selling like crazy this fall. Down to about 3. Just ordered some more. I also saw you were having some issues with your shock cable. You can find info on the adjuster tool on my website. www.barnofparts.com

Bring the tank to some one who knows how to weld aluminum.

X2. Had my 05 tank welded last year and nary a weep in 1000+ miles. $45 to weld BOTH sides...did the back side to strengthen the entire area. Added the BOP kit for insurance. I fully expect to get 35K miles or more outta this sled!

I know this is an old thread, but I have just had the oil tank on my '15 vector start to leak. This started last winter, when I noticed oil stains on the snow. I watched the level and it only lost about 1/2 L per oil change so I wasn't too worried. Had the mid season change done at the dealer, and he figured that maybe the filter had worked loose. Over the summer, the sled had a sizeable puddle under it so when doing my service, decided to look closer.

The oil was mostly on the tank side, but also under the engine rather than in the side panel. I pulled the tank off and there was nothing obvious other than a little oil on the tank. After draining the tank and plugging the ports, I pressurized the tank with air to about 30 PSI and then swabbed soappy water on the surface. Sure enough, a steady stream of bubbles appeared along the weld where the lower mount is attached to the tank. After cleaning the tank again, I still could not see a crack even with a magnifier. However, bubbles don't lie :).

I have welded the section using the aluminum 'brazing' rods that are meant to be used with a propane torch. No more bubbles.

Has anyone else had experience with the new 'round' tanks cracking like this? I have had the flat tank on my '07 crack a couple of times, but had not heard of this on the new tanks.

During my spring oil change I noticed the side oil tank was weeping on my '11 Apex. I've JB-Welded it and no leaking over the summer. Only time will tell if it holds over the riding season...

During my spring oil change I noticed the side oil tank was weeping on my '11 Apex. I've JB-Welded it and no leaking over the summer. Only time will tell if it holds over the riding season...

https://www.ebay.com/usr/cfm-performance-atv?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
I bought one from here for my 06 venture, this tank is made very well and would use this if your going to replace new. If you get a used one I would add Barn of Parts oil tank saver. Never had luck trying to seal something like that, a lot of vibration and temp changes.

Last edited:

Back