• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Toasted my motor...2006 RS Venture

Gtbensley

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
09 Nytro xt x
Yup, it's broken. Newlyish purchase that I have ridden maybe 600 miles. Left on a ride last weekend and made it about five miles down the trail and started to hear a very faint sound that sounded like the clutch ratteling. We all know that's pretty common on Yamahas but not really at speed.

Went to come to a stop shortly after (maybe a minute) for a road crossing and the sled shut off and wouldn't start back up. Acted like a drained battery and would soon over very slowly.

Just pulled the drain plug from the sump and no oil came out but lots of metal sure did! Oil tank is full...so it had oil yet the motor didn't seem to want to keep pumping it.

Anyone have ideas? I'm thinking the chain broke that drives the pump or I broke the pick up in the sump. I will say that I hot some bumps very hard directly before this noise started. No damage to the machine and no oil leaks.

Ideas? Probably won't pull the motor yet and tear it down.

Anyone want to sell me a motor?

My money is on the timing chain tensioner failure. Known problem with the 05-07 973s.

Although that wouldn't explain the lack of oil coming out the pan.

My money is on the timing chain tensioner failure. Known problem with the 05-07 973s.

Although that wouldn't explain the lack of oil coming out the pan.

Unless it just cooked all the oil in the motor? Sure doesn't smell like it did.

Yeah I'm thinking the chain might have an issue....does it time the motor as well though? Because it ran fine right up until it didn't.

Unless it just cooked all the oil in the motor? Sure doesn't smell like it did.

Yeah I'm thinking the chain might have an issue....does it time the motor as well though? Because it ran fine right up until it didn't.

Yes it times the engine(timing chain tensioner), and these are interference engines. Tensioner fails, chain jumps a couple teeth, and bad things happen fast.

I'm guessing that's not it then, it ran for minutes after the noise started. Timing had to have been spot on until is spun a bearing.

Just emailed barnofparts about a motor.

I'm guessing that's not it then, it ran for minutes after the noise started. Timing had to have been spot on until is spun a bearing.

Just emailed barnofparts about a motor.

Oh, it'll run with the tensioner failed( it loses tension) until the chain finally jumps. And it makes a clattering sound, which is the chain slapping the block.

Does it turn over by hand off the clutch?

Take the valve cover off & rotate the engine and see if the timing arrows on the cam sprockets line up at certain revolutions. That'll damn fast tell you if it was a tensioner or something else.

It failed for lack of oil in the motor, i have zero doubt about that. The reservoir is full, so it didn't leak out.

All i am thinking is that if the timing chain failed, it would have caused it to run poor or shut off right away....which it didn't.

Motor is seized, hardly turns over by hand with a bar on the clutch.

So there’s no idiot light or OP LO message? Or some failsafe that shuts down the fuel pump. Or is that only on EFI?

sorry to hear that!
Could it have been debris / sludge in the pipe between the tank and motor preventing oil flow?

Back