• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Toe out..

SledFreak

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Current 2020 ThunderCat. - SOLD!
How do I get at the inner nuts on the tie rods, so I can adjust the toe out?

I couldn't access them with my mitts either but this is what I did.

I ended up heating an old 14mm wrench and bent it in a vise at 90 degrees at one end, then I was able to slip the wrench in from the side to access the locking nut. After I finished setting the toe, I left the inner nuts loose. There is no chance of it moving when the outer tie rods are tight.

I can reach my nuts...

Take the hood off and butter up your hands. I'm able to just slide a wrench on them thru the gaps around the steering linkage. To loosen them, first undo the outer nuts and then twist the tie rod to break the inner nut free. You'll be able to snug them up in somewhat the same fashion after making the adjustment - moving the wrench in the space is limiited. Note; the rod ends are left and right hand threads at opposite ends and I can't remember what hand the inside nuts are.

Grimm - If you leave the inner nuts loose there will be movement in the threads that can wear them out over time. If you can spin the inner nut up close to the tie rod and then get a wrench on it you can snug them up with a little turn on the tie rod.

I can reach my nuts by...

Now that's funny!

Back