• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Too much toe out?

SmokeXTX

I love everything about my '12 xtx except the handling (I guess that would mean I don't really like it). This year I added the OFT Relocator, Pioneer hyfax savers, Tuner Skis with 6" & 4" woody's.

I have the ski shocks set up with no preload and dampening/rebound on full soft.

One hole up on the strap from factory.

Center skid shock on full preload and rear shock on full soft.

Torsions are on med as I am around 250.

This thing darts worse than ever and the track never seems to hook up even with the rods at full transfer. I think I'll set the limiter straps back to factory to help it hook up.

Question is , is 5/8" too much toe out? Could this be the cause of this sled being to figgity?

I guess I'm at the point where I either spend $1K+ on suspension upgrades or I just punt and buy an MXZ. I guess it was my mistake believing Yami's marketing ploy that the 144" corners like a 121! :o|

1/4" to 1/2" MAX toe out. Don't forget weight on skis while doing toe out. At your weight put some preload on your shocks (1"-1.5" thread showing), set rebound to middle setting and compression to 2 clicks over (high side) middle. lower the center preload somewhat (down 2) also. And you might want to run the springs to high side. These are set at factory for the average Joe Blow who weighs in at 160lbs. I'm 270 lbs in my birthday suit and these are close to the setting I'm running and with the mods I did this fall I can't get enough of my ride.

OFT Relocator and tuner skis made a big difference for me @ 245LBs. I run 4 on inside and 2 on outside on the tuners. Factory hole on straps. increased center shock preload and have springs on hard. Loosened the front shocks and set compression at 4 out from full and rebound about 8 out from full. I still get inside ski lift(installed JRE spindle kit this summer, but have not had enough snow to try that upgrade yet) to see if that helps with the ski lift, I also had Hygear redo my skid shocks for my weight and a sport package(not been able tor try yet as well).Definitely maintain toe out around 3/8 to 1/2 inch with these machines.

Pete

I have the toe set at about 1/2" out with bungee cords on the fronts of the skis. There seems to be quite a bit of play in the tie rod ends which would cause the toe to be up to 7/8". Should I be setting it at 1/4" assuming it will be more without the bungees on it?

Check your owner's manual on how to adjust the transfer rods for maximum weight transfer and return your front strap to stock. Your other settings on shocks seem alright to me.

Regarding the darting issue, adjust the toe out from 0 to 1/4"max...the tuners work better closer to zero toe, but definitely not toed in. Use a bungee cord attached to ski loops to tighten up any slack. Shim the ski rubbers so the front of the carbides are not digging downwards, but slightly upwards.

You could also try increasing the preload on the swaybar. There are 2 mount holes on the lower A arm. Bolting it to the most forward hole will help improve steering response, but makes it ride a bit rougher.

This should help with your handling, but you will NEVER EVER be able to get it to handle like an MXZ...sorry.

Thanks Grimm, my next move was to let the straps back down. I'm also going to set the toe at 0 with the bungee cords on the tips.

Been thinking about studs to since all of the guys I ride with run picks.

SmokeXTX said:
Thanks Grimm, my next move was to let the straps back down. I'm also going to set the toe at 0 with the bungee cords on the tips.

Been thinking about studs to since all of the guys I ride with run picks.
You'll love picks right up until the day you get a overheat light. Too many guys are ripping through the forward exchanger. IMHO :yam:

Back