• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Took new leftover 17 sidewinder for a ride.

woodysattak

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 RTX LE
Picked up leftover 17 sidewinder for a ride tonight we had 5 inches of snow in southern wi. I have a 2013 1200 xr right now and all I can say is wow!!!. This thing is unbelievable. My 1200 was not stock it had alot of mods. This sidewinder would leave it behind after about 100 ft. One thing I noticed the winder seemed alot lighter in the front then my 1200. It was so smooth and after the turbo lag it pulled really hard. My 1200 would kill it out of the hole but after that would be no contest. I will be testing some clutch setups this coming winter along with a PB-80 on the test track with timers. Looking forward to next year.

Picked up leftover 17 sidewinder for a ride tonight we had 5 inches of snow in southern wi. I have a 2013 1200 xr right now and all I can say is wow!!!. This thing is unbelievable. My 1200 was not stock it had alot of mods. This sidewinder would leave it behind after about 100 ft. One thing I noticed the winder seemed alot lighter in the front then my 1200. It was so smooth and after the turbo lag it pulled really hard. My 1200 would kill it out of the hole but after that would be no contest. I will be testing some clutch setups this coming winter along with a PB-80 on the test track with timers. Looking forward to next year.

Yes Yamaha did a heck of a job with this engine package......but turbo lag? I am unaware of any turbo lag. I have ridden a few stock ones and a 270 tuned one too. That's what the closed loop design is all about, virtually eliminating turbo lag. Check out page 7 on the pdf file.

http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Gensis-Turbo-FINAL.pdf

all turbos have lag - especially rear mount - u cant hit it on top of a jump and leap it or bunny hop it ,, at all, and the boost stays on too long in the air wanting to flip over backwards if not careful - get ready to grab brake --- ride a supercharged apex or nytro - youll get it.

all turbos have lag - especially rear mount - u cant hit it on top of a jump and leap it or bunny hop it ,, at all, and the boost stays on too long in the air wanting to flip over backwards if not careful - get ready to grab brake --- ride a supercharged apex or nytro - youll get it.

Do you have a Sidewinder? I haven't noticed any lag on these. They come on seamless.....

WHAT?? COME ON - of coarse - have u drove stuff thats fast without a turbo - again - like a super or natural aspirated 220 + hp anything... again - its not like a rear mount but its not a supercharger either - what r u a journeyman of? tool maker - electrician - what?

Industrial electrician, motor control and plc’s.

My buddy with the 270 flashed Winder had an MPI supercharged Attak that was around 220 hp. Rode it many times, ran great for 10,000 miles before he sold it. Have yet to drive a turbo’d Apex or any of the others like a 1200 Doo or even the 1100T.

As for the Winder, Yamaha did a good job getting this factory turbo to respond seamlessly. The bad part is there has been belt issues with the high HP flashes and other Cat chassis gremlins. I guess no one has built the perfect sled yet. But everyones definition of perfect is different too.

Last edited:
Do you have a Sidewinder? I haven't noticed any lag on these. They come on seamless.....

I would agree...it is a seamless power curve. If it didn't say turbo on the hood many would never think it even has a turbo. My father had a 16 viper MPI this season and the power curve of that was the more typical flat to abrupt you expect from add on turbo kits. Jumping back and forth between the two this season on rides it was unbelievable how smooth and linear the Sidewinder power delivery is.

How many miles were on it? I know I was really disappointed with mine for the first 20 miles after coming from a insane impulse turbo apex. After that though by 50 miles it started to make a believer out of me. Only 165 miles right now but every time I am more and more impressed with the power. Next year flash time!!

It's brand new only 5 miles on it. I don't know if you call it turbo lag but the first 80 ft or so it seems lazy then kicks in. My 1200 comes out of hole full power. The winder takes off right away but at about 80 ft the skis come off and its gone. It does not have the holeshot I get with my 1200. I never owned a turbo so not sure how they act compared to a na motor.

I would agree...it is a seamless power curve. If it didn't say turbo on the hood many would never think it even has a turbo. My father had a 16 viper MPI this season and the power curve of that was the more typical flat to abrupt you expect from add on turbo kits. Jumping back and forth between the two this season on rides it was unbelievable how smooth and linear the Sidewinder power delivery is.

Exactly, I haven’t spent extended seat time like yourself on a turbo Viper but have driven a few Kip from Pat’s has had around his dealership. All have been Push Turbo’s but yes, they felt like a standard Viper down low but then bang they come on hard. Though Don (VX1R) has a clutch kit in his SW I was impressed with his when I drove it. It pulled real solid and hooked hard with the Storm track but I never felt one flat spot in the power delivery.

Last edited:
woodysattak....Congrats on picking up your new SW.

I think that what you referred to as turbo lag that you noticed in your new sled is actually the inherent soft feel in the lower rpm range that this motor has until about 6500rpm when the boost comes on.

I recall chatting with you a number of years ago here on TY when we were both testing the HC Drag ‘n Fly weights in our Apex’s so I know that you’re no stranger to getting the clutching dialed in on your sleds.

You mentioned in your post that you’ll be trying some different clutch set ups next year and I’m pretty sure that you’ll be able to get rid of the low end “Poochyness” (is that actually a word?) through clutching. That low end logeyness is further exhasbarated with the stock clutching.

I feel that my current clutch set up works great to get the low end responsiveness back with a stock tuned motor. There’s a lot of choices out there for early spool tunes to bring the low end throttle response to the next level.

VX1R - I think your right, I thought my new SW was a 'pooch' as well coming off a insane apex 300+ hp clutched to precision machine. I thought it was turbo lag and wondered what everyone on here was smoking! The more time I got on it the more I realized its the clutching. Mine will be getting some heavy duty upgrades this summer and one of them is dyno tuned on Ulmers Dyno and clutched to perfection from him. In my apex he found 60hp just from the secondary spring in my custom application, that is crazy!

Agree with Journeyman here. The only 'lag' a Winder has is taking off from a standing start, but once the machine is in motion, different story. I came off a supercharged Nytro and aside from the holeshot launch, the Winder has no lag. Incredible. I am actually amazed at how instant the response is for a Turbo. Now, if my F-150 was only this good.

Agree with Journeyman here. The only 'lag' a Winder has is taking off from a standing start, but once the machine is in motion, different story. I came off a supercharged Nytro and aside from the holeshot launch, the Winder has no lag. Incredible. I am actually amazed at how instant the response is for a Turbo. Now, if my F-150 was only this good.

I have heard that from some of my friends with the turbo F-150's. I know a few chose the 5.0L V8 because of that.

woodysattak....Congrats on picking up your new SW.

I think that what you referred to as turbo lag that you noticed in your new sled is actually the inherent soft feel in the lower rpm range that this motor has until about 6500rpm when the boost comes on.

I recall chatting with you a number of years ago here on TY when we were both testing the HC Drag ‘n Fly weights in our Apex’s so I know that you’re no stranger to getting the clutching dialed in on your sleds.

You mentioned in your post that you’ll be trying some different clutch set ups next year and I’m pretty sure that you’ll be able to get rid of the low end “Poochyness” (is that actually a word?) through clutching. That low end logeyness is further exhasbarated with the stock clutching.

I feel that my current clutch set up works great to get the low end responsiveness back with a stock tuned motor. There’s a lot of choices out there for early spool tunes to bring the low end throttle response to the next level.
The poochyness (now an official word!) makes it so easy for anyone to ride, and helped a lot breaking trail, as any significant movement of the thumb, and the backhoe sized trenching begins!

Back