• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Torque spec for the Sidewinder primary?

First torque to 108 ft lbs. Then loosed bolt and torque to 43 ft lbs. The 108 is to set it on the taper and then back it off and set to 43.

1 Clutch torque specs.jpeg

Is this a change for just sidewinder or all vipers as well

The old 89 or whatever it was seemed good. I was cringing bringing this thing to 108. Seems like bolt was stretching or something was gonna break?

Been spec on sidewinder since 2017.. And yes 108 is a lot of torque.
I just popped my primary off on my 2022 and it came off very easy. Guessing because it was new..
Off to Thunder clutching for a balance

Is this a change for just sidewinder or all vipers as well

The old 89 or whatever it was seemed good. I was cringing bringing this thing to 108. Seems like bolt was stretching or something was gonna break?
The Viper is different, first torque is 85 ft lb then 43 for bolt.

I run a fx nytro clutch on a sidewinder and torque it with the sidewinder method.
The bolt torques good and doesn't feel like your reeling in a log like it does with the sidewinder primary.
Throw the sidewinder primary on the shelf and leave it there!

Hurricane recommends 85ft lbs, run the engine for 5 minutes and retorque to 85ft lbs. Same method cat recommends but at an increased torque level. Lapping the taper like Knapp has mentioned before makes the clutch feel so much better when installing........reduces that feeling like the bolt is growing on ya.

Just FYI - stock Cat spec is 51 ft lbs. Run engine 5 minutes, re-torque to 51. However, I've seen too many that show primary slipping on stub so I moved up to 60 ft lbs AND lapping all primaries. Seems to have stopped slipping problem. Also, when checking torque 1000 miles later, with lapping, the bolt doesn't seem to loosen.

Back