• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tow Hitch

terryfox

Just purchase a 2006 Viking for getting into my cabin in Ontario, mostly on a groomed trail but sometimes I'm the one making the trail. It would be rare to break trail in more than 2 feet of fresh snow but does happen. I have ordered the 11 inch wide skis and the Front Rack and I plan to add a winch to the front of the machine.

My question-->What modifications/changes have people made to the tow hitch. I will tow a sled with gear and will need the current standard "hinge" mounted hitch. I think it would be useful to have a small ATV style "hook" hitch added when pulling other stuck sleds or logs. How have others increased their towing options. Can you just attach the tow strap to the rear basket? My guess is no.

I prefer pintle hooks for general loads and 2" balls for the really heavy stuff. Weld a receiver into the tunnel and swapping between hitch types is simple. This is a picture of my old VK540III. I haven't gotten to welding a receiver on the Pro yet. It's got a factory pintle bolted on and that's been enough so far.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 489
i'll try to get some pics at the club if the ground ever freezes up and i need to go groom. but we have a u shaped plate that fit over the tunnel and down the sides. with a 1 7/8 ball on it, and a regular ball coupler on the drags. it puts the ball higher and with the gooseneck tongue on the drag we get more lift out of the lift actuator.

here are some photos they are from a distance but you should get the point. its a 1 7/8 ball mounted on a plate on top of the tunnel and down the sides.

Attachments

• Picture 140 (Small).jpg
    Picture 140 (Small).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 389
  • Picture 141 (Small).jpg
    Picture 141 (Small).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 464
Do not tow with the rear basket, it has a sticker that says something like Max 40 lbs . Also my pal used his rear winch mount to tow an ice shack and bent it really bad. Now its useless. I use the stock tow hitch and a large stainless clevis which in turn connects to my rigid towbar which is law in Ontario. The stock hitch (plate with hole) is getting worn and I bet after next year I will need a new one but hey its a few bolts and back in the game.

whos pulling with the basket. my photos are of a plate that fit over the tunnel with a ball mounted on it and a steel plate behind the seat to keep the drags tongue from hitting the user.

Hi, I have 2007 and used the tow bolt to bolt on a 1 inch receiver and I have multi adapters. I tow a groomer most of the time and also do fire wood I have hooked up all kinds of things to it and no issues I will add pics soon.

I decided to build a heavy pintel hitch. Used old T-hook and cut to fit. Made a simple spring loaded clasp. Welded both style of hitches on a plate, then bolted in where old hitch fit. Now I feel confident with heavy loads. Can use either pintel or pin.
B9AFFDCF-39AC-4136-A3EE-D42DF407029E.jpeg

Back